none
Cannot Remote Debug in SSDT

Question

• I can debug aganist local instance in SSDT without issue, however couldn't get it work on a remote server instance. I even turned off the firewalls on both server and client side for testing purpose, and I'm using a login with sysadmin fixed server role. I'm using Windows 7 Professional, SSDT in VS2010 or SSMS2012, and the database engine is 2008R2 SP2.

So what could be the reason?

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:50 PM

Answers

• I know why now. The server and the client are in different domains. If I use another manchine in the same domain as the server, then I can run remote debugging.

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:19 AM

All replies

• Check if this blog may help

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ajaykumarks/archive/2011/10/22/unable-to-do-remote-sql-stored-procedure-debugging-from-vs2010.aspx

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 12:15 AM
  • What SKU of VS2010 are you using?  Remote debugging isn't supported in the integrated shell.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 1:08 AM
  • I have already got everything set up as the Pre-requisites, but still not working.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:14 AM
  • I'm not quite sure what SKU is, but mine is VS2012 Shell (Isolated) - ENU Service Pack 1.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:15 AM
  • You can determine the SKU by opening VS and clicking Help -> About Microsoft Visual Studio.  Remote debugging is only supported in Professional and higher versions, so if your version is the Integrated or Isolated shell, then this is expected.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:24 AM
  • Yes, I'm using Professional edition.
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:27 AM
  • Ok, thanks for ruling that out.  What error are you seeing?  And will you provide concrete steps to reproduce the issue?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:30 AM
  • I'm just thinking, is there a sort of security policy at domain level that prevent users from remote debugging? coz I just found in the Local Security Policy, there is something called "Debug programs".
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Certainly. thanks very much for your help.

The error I saw is "Unable to start T-SQL debugger, ......Make sure you have enabled the debugging firewall exceptions and are using a login that is a memeber of the sysadmin fixed server role. ..." But I have already turned off the firewalls on both ends.

I got the same error for both SSMS and SSDT.

For SSMS (2012 SP1): connect to a remote server instance (2008R2 SP2) -> open a query window -> type in "select 1;" -> click Debug button -> get the error mentioned above after a couple of seconds.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:54 AM
  • I know why now. The server and the client are in different domains. If I use another manchine in the same domain as the server, then I can run remote debugging.

Thanks for the help.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 5:19 AM