none
Microsoft TechNet Wiki Guru - Winners for July!!

All replies

• Congratulations to Naomi!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Monday, August 12, 2013 8:47 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Ed,

I do congratulate Naomi also, but frankly, double awards to the same person (who won last month also) discourages participation.

Kalman Toth Database & OLAP Architect sqlusa.com
    New Book / Kindle: Pass SQL Exam 70-461 & Job Interview: Programming SQL Server 2012

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:04 AM
  • Actually Kalman, we only got two entries for T-SQL for July, both were by Naomi, hence her awards. Note, there wasn't a bronze award.

Maybe you should join the fun for August... and beyond :D

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL Got a good solution? If you invest your time in coding an elegant/novel or large answer on these MSDN forums, why not copy it over to our beloved TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:40 AM
  • Hi Ed,

I do congratulate Naomi also, but frankly, double awards to the same person (who won last month also) discourages participation.

New Book / Kindle: Pass SQL Exam 70-461 & Job Interview: Programming SQL Server 2012

Kalman has a good point though. Should there be a rule that you can only win one of the three awards (as long as there are two other candidates)?

But what if one person submits three articles and two people submit one each... And then the one person's 3 articles are amazing but the other two are just code dumps and pretty unhelpful. Should the unhelpful articles win awards?

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:46 AM
    Owner
  • In my opinion, the articles need to be judged by the technical merit.

BTW, I haven't yet submitted an August entry. Since the forums last re-design I found myself less and less participating in my favorite forum (not to mention other forums I used to visit). I am still feeling very sad about it, I loved to participate, but now I don't really have the desire :(

I am also upset because of Erland leaving this forum.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Hi Ed,

Kalman has a good point though. Should there be a rule that you can only win one of the three awards (as long as there are two other candidates)?

But what if one person submits three articles and two people submit one each... And then the one person's 3 articles are amazing but the other two are just code dumps and pretty unhelpful. Should the unhelpful articles win awards?

Hello ,

Congratulation to Naomi but as she was only partcipant and the post is good she deserves it.And this will also inculcate healthy competition ,will make people feel why she is only posting and winning we can also contribute and test our chances.

I also got 2nd prize in SSIS/SSRS category unfortunately only 2 of us  posted.Now I will post in Database engine see what  comes

Many thanks to Ed price for reviewing my post.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

• Edited by Shanky_621 Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:37 AM removed it
    Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:36 AM
  • I agree with Naomi and Shanky. Any perceived 'unjustness' in the awards can only encourage competition :D

I am currently favouring Ed's second point, that significantly better articles should win further awards, over poorly presented or detailed ones. This is primarily a contest of content and quality, not simply contributing. Otherwise someone could win an award with a one line article, just because they are the only other entrant.

To be honest, most judges will up-vote a third entrant to bronze, replacing a better article, if they believe the article/author deserves recognition. I will certainly be trying to keep some fairness and balance in future months.

Regards,
    Pete

#PEJL Got a good solution? If you invest your time in coding an elegant/novel or large answer on these MSDN forums, why not copy it over to our beloved TechNet Wiki, for future generations to benefit from!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:19 AM
  • I feel / think almost exactly the same!

1. The articles need to be judged by the technical merit. But there can be rule that you can only post one article for each category (at this time as there are not enough articles). And when/if the competition will become popular with dozens of articles every month, then to change the rule that you can post only one article each month.

But it goes against Microsoft's real goals probably because it can result in a situation in which people postpone writing articles or even give up writing more than one article, so I guess it's good for the community even though it is not good commercial or marketing sense to Microsoft.

2. I found myself less and less participating in MSDN's forums (Since the forums last re-design), Although I had a lot of time and I took a very active part in other communities during this period, Actually my activity there arose following the decrease here probably :-)

* I think the main problem stems from lack of understanding of the concept of community, and because the architects of the forum think of a support system in place of a community system.

signature

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:52 AM

• Many thanks to Ed price for reviewing my post.

Please mark this reply as the answer or vote as helpful, as appropriate, to make it useful for other readers

You're welcome, Shanky! Thank you for your contributions!

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 8:50 PM
    Owner

• Many thanks to Ed price for reviewing my post.

You're welcome, Shanky! Thank you for your contributions!

Hello Ed /XAML

Below is my article for Aug please add it.Its T-SQL article

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/19112.understanding-nolock-query-hint.aspx

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 4:51 AM
  • What are you asking exactly Ed to do?   You need to post it yourself.

Post your AUGUST contributions here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18844.technet-guru-contributions-august-2013.aspx

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 8:33 AM
  • What are you asking exactly Ed to do?   You need to post it yourself.

Post your AUGUST contributions here:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/18844.technet-guru-contributions-august-2013.aspx

Hello Kalman,

I dont understand this point

B) Click the "Edit" tab, above this article title, and copy in the URL to your TechNet Wiki article into the appropriate section.

How to do this ...i mean i have created wiki article how to copy URL to TSQL section.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:30 AM
  • Hi Shanky, I just added your link to the wiki page.  There's really not much to it, just click the Edit tab after you've logged in and copy the URL to the T-SQL section.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:56 AM
  • Hi Shanky, I just added your link to the wiki page.  There's really not much to it, just click the Edit tab after you've logged in and copy the URL to the T-SQL section.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samlester

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" and "Vote as Helpful" on posts that help you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thanks Sam for help.May be i was undersyanding it in different way :)

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:32 AM
  • Hi Shanky,

It is like your own web page (actually shared page). You can edit it and save it.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 12:30 PM
  • I made some editing in this article (only grammar and typos).

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 5:23 PM