none
Migrate + Upgrade - 2005 to 2012, missing Alerting DB?

Question

• I'm attempting to do a migration + upgrade of our RS databases

Currently they are in SQL 2005 and running with Sharepoint 2010

We have built new servers for 2012

1. SQL 2012 DB Server

2. RS 2012 App Server

I backed up existing RS databases from 2005 (Report Server DB and Temp DB) and restored them to 2012

Installed the 2012 RS Add-in and installed the RS service, shows up in Central Admin -> Manage Services on Server

When creating a new Service Application for Reporting Services I assumed I can simply point it to use the database I restored, but I receive an error and when checking the logs it says it fails when trying to alter a 'Alerting' database

I see this is a new 3rd database being used for 2012, but in 2005 or 2008 R2 there is no 3rd database... so where do I get it?

What is the proper way to migrate + upgrade my databases to 2012? I have found next to nothing after searching for hours!

Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:51 AM

Answers

• Ah just turns out to be an access issue

All security permissions from my 2005 environment were brought over, I gave my farm id db owner access to the DB's but turns out I also had to give the new application pool id db owner access as well

Very odd error msgs I was getting that really didn't point to this

• Marked as answer by Eldorados Monday, January 21, 2013 7:10 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:35 PM

All replies

• What i will suggest is, you first create databases with SSRS 2012 by configuring this in SharePoint integrated mode, your will get all three databases, then restore your previous version of report server DB and temp on the new databases. I hope this will work fine.

Mark this post as answer if this resolves your issue.

Everything about SQL Server | Experience inside SQL Server -Mohammad Nizamuddin

Saturday, January 19, 2013 6:55 PM
  • Ah just turns out to be an access issue

All security permissions from my 2005 environment were brought over, I gave my farm id db owner access to the DB's but turns out I also had to give the new application pool id db owner access as well

Very odd error msgs I was getting that really didn't point to this

• Marked as answer by Eldorados Monday, January 21, 2013 7:10 PM
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 8:35 PM