none
Pulling data from Oracle

Question

• I am trying to figure out which data source is better to load data from Oracle 9i/10g to SQL 2008 using SSIS 2008.  I know the MS Oracle OLEdb driver is not the right choice for Oracle versions past 8.  The packages currently implement ADO.NET connections using a data reader, but I was under the impression that OLE DB was better for moving more data.  I haven't seen any good evidence or #'s on the Attunity connectors, but was wondering if anyone had good experience pulling a bunch of data from Oracle.  Are there any gotchas of either one?

Thanks,
    Abe
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 12:40 PM

Answers

• I am currently extracting data from Oracle (1st time I have to), and decided to use the Attunity provider/component. So far I have gotten good performance, but the largest table I am extracting data from has only 4.2M rows. I decided on the Attunity based on bad feedback I read on the other options. No, I don't think you should be able to just swap connection strings, you would need to create a new connection manager and source components.
    Rafael Salas | Don’t forget to mark the post(s) that answered your question http://rafael-salas.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Friday, June 19, 2009 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:48 PM

All replies

• If I want to make this decision later, would I be able to develop a package and swap out the connection string from an Ado.Net to an OleDB one?
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:34 PM
  • I am currently extracting data from Oracle (1st time I have to), and decided to use the Attunity provider/component. So far I have gotten good performance, but the largest table I am extracting data from has only 4.2M rows. I decided on the Attunity based on bad feedback I read on the other options. No, I don't think you should be able to just swap connection strings, you would need to create a new connection manager and source components.
    Rafael Salas | Don’t forget to mark the post(s) that answered your question http://rafael-salas.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Tony Tang_YJ Friday, June 19, 2009 9:13 AM
    Tuesday, June 09, 2009 6:48 PM