none
Collation Not Found Error

Question

• While I am trying to install sql server 2008 this error was shown "Collation Not Found" & I checked the reason for that and is "Windows Firwall in enabled. make sure that the appropriate ports aare open to enable remote acces".

I could Not able to resolve.

Can anybody help in this regard.....

Sunday, August 15, 2010 4:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Natrij,

Based on your description, there might be one reason causing such ‘Collation Not Found’ error.

SQL Server will check the collation of your Windows system during the installation. And every Windows system locale has some corresponding to SQL version and the collation, but some regions of Windows do not support SQL.

So before your installation, please check your regional settings and please try the default English-language (US) collation ( SQL_Latin1_General*).

Follow the sample steps below:

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Administrative > Change system locale.

States of this issue:

SQL Server 2008 collation settings depend on the type of installation. Typically, you should choose a SQL Server collation that supports the Windows system locale most commonly used at your organization. To identify your Windows system locale on computers that are running Windows 2000, click Regional Settings in Control Panel, and then click Advanced. In Windows Vista, use the Formats tab. To identify your Windows system locale on computers that are running Windows Server 2003, click Regional and Language Options in Control Panel, and then click the Regional Options tab. In most cases, a computer runs the Windows system locale that matches the language requirements of the user. Therefore, SQL Server Setup automatically detects the Windows system locale and selects the appropriate SQL Server collation. For backward compatibility, the default English-language (US) collation is SQL_Latin1_General*.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144260(v=SQL.100).aspx for more details about how to using SQL Server Collation.

Thanks,

WeiLin Qiao

Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Natraj,

Please share with us Setup logs (if created any) when you encounter this error. Also let me know are you installting SQL server from the server itself or thru RDP.

Regards

Gursethi

Sunday, August 15, 2010 6:09 AM
  • Hi Natraj,

SQL setup support checks some of the rules before it starts the actual installation of SQL server in your case WINDOWS FIREWALL might be having a warning message that you have mentioned in your original post. Now if you are installing SQL server in an Enterprise architecture you need to make sure the windows firewall rules are in place and that will allow the users to gain access to SQL server through the network . If you are dealing with your own desktop machine then you may ignore this warning and go to the next page in installation.

Thanks, Leks
    Monday, August 16, 2010 5:17 AM
  • Hi Natrij,

Based on your description, there might be one reason causing such ‘Collation Not Found’ error.

SQL Server will check the collation of your Windows system during the installation. And every Windows system locale has some corresponding to SQL version and the collation, but some regions of Windows do not support SQL.

So before your installation, please check your regional settings and please try the default English-language (US) collation ( SQL_Latin1_General*).

Follow the sample steps below:

Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Administrative > Change system locale.

States of this issue:

SQL Server 2008 collation settings depend on the type of installation. Typically, you should choose a SQL Server collation that supports the Windows system locale most commonly used at your organization. To identify your Windows system locale on computers that are running Windows 2000, click Regional Settings in Control Panel, and then click Advanced. In Windows Vista, use the Formats tab. To identify your Windows system locale on computers that are running Windows Server 2003, click Regional and Language Options in Control Panel, and then click the Regional Options tab. In most cases, a computer runs the Windows system locale that matches the language requirements of the user. Therefore, SQL Server Setup automatically detects the Windows system locale and selects the appropriate SQL Server collation. For backward compatibility, the default English-language (US) collation is SQL_Latin1_General*.

See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144260(v=SQL.100).aspx for more details about how to using SQL Server Collation.

Thanks,

WeiLin Qiao

Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Excellent Post!

Very helpful to me, i was facing same problem of collation and this post resolve my issue very easily...

Thanks

Akhil

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 9:49 AM