none
Calculating running totals

Question

• I have 2 columns in my powerpivot -

• Fiscal month ID
    • Last Fiscal Month ID (calculated column = [Fiscal month ID - 1] )

Now, due to complexities I cannot create a date table so cannot use the date functions, but I want to calculate the revenues for the previous fiscal months using the two columns above.

I was trying something like this, but it doesn't seem to work - can anyone help me on this. Greatly appreciated if you can.

=SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Sales'), VALUE(Sales[Fiscal Month ID]) = VALUE(Sales[Last Fiscal Month ID] ))

,Sales[Total Billed] )

I can bring back the totals for a single month doing the following - but nothing for the ruuning totals.

=SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Sales'), VALUE('Sales'[Fiscal Month ID]) = 254 )

,'Sales'[Total Billed] )

Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 3:58 PM

Answers

• Haha,  good man - I should have pointed out that it was DAX, mind you there was some useful VB logic that I picked up for something else.

Anyway - got it sorted by having to create a date table and assigning [fiscal month last date] to the Sales table and using the groovy date functions!

CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Total Billed]),DATESBETWEEN(Calendar[Date],Calendar[Last Fiscal Month - Start Date],Calendar[Last Fiscal Month - End Date] ))

if anyone is looking for it...

• Marked as answer by Murtylad Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:17 PM
    • Edited by Murtylad Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:17 PM

All replies

• hi check out the given link for your reference.

http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6027

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:11 PM
  • Haha,  good man - I should have pointed out that it was DAX, mind you there was some useful VB logic that I picked up for something else.

Anyway - got it sorted by having to create a date table and assigning [fiscal month last date] to the Sales table and using the groovy date functions!

CALCULATE(SUM(Sales[Total Billed]),DATESBETWEEN(Calendar[Date],Calendar[Last Fiscal Month - Start Date],Calendar[Last Fiscal Month - End Date] ))

if anyone is looking for it...

• Marked as answer by Murtylad Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:17 PM
    • Edited by Murtylad Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:19 PM
    Wednesday, May 09, 2012 3:17 PM