none
Deployment did not replace RDL file

Question

• When I deployed my report using Visual Studio 2008 to SSRS 2008 R2, the new RDL file did not "take".  The date was changed, but the old version is still there.  The output pane in Visual Studio said it successfully deployed.  When I download the RDL from the Report Manager, it does not have the changes I made.

I have seen this happen in every SSRS shop I have ever been in.  The work around has always been either delete the RDL file and redeploy or just try deploying again.  I remember seeing a connect issue with this, but I cannot find it again.

Anyone know the connect issue link or a link to the work around that Microsoft recommends?

Thanks for your help!

Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Bryan,

We can reproduce this issue by change the default value of a Parameter, that default value will never be updated when I redeploy a report that has been previously deployed. And this is a known issue which you can see on the link below:
    http://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/299372/report-parameter-defaults-not-updated-during-deployment#details

Here is a thread which is similar to yours, please see:
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/7c903cd6-94e1-4302-83b5-942fd824d6b2/ssrs-2008-r2-bis-deploy-does-not-always-clear-cached-reports

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,
    Charlie Liao

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Nilima123 Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bryan Shaw Thursday, September 26, 2013 1:06 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:11 AM
  • My issue is not with a default parameter change, in this case.  My change was for the column headings to repeat on each page.  That being said, I have seen other changes not take effect in the past.  It is intermittent.  I can reploy and most times the change takes effect on the second try.  Sometimes the changes will never take effect and I have to delete the RDL from the Report Manager and redeploy.

• Edited by Bryan Shaw Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:40 PM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:13 PM
  • Hi Bryan,

When you upload the report don't forget to check off checkbox "Overwrite item if it exists." or specify to overwrite datasets and data sources.

Remember to mark as an answer if this post has helped you.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:14 PM
  • Please read the original complaint.  I am deploying from VS 2008 to SSRS 2008 R2 native.  I am not allowed to do an upload like you have captured.  We do not overwrite data sources.  Data sources have nothing to do with whether or not the RDL is properly replaced.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:30 PM
  • Is it only you or everyone in your company who has this problem? Could it be permission related?

Remember to mark as an answer if this post has helped you.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:54 PM
  • If it were permissions related, it would fail consistently.  This failure is intermittent.  I have seen it numerous times over the years since SSRS was first introduced with 2000.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:28 PM