none
Sql 2005 replication and clustering

General discussion

• Hello All,

your Help is needed here, frankly i have no previous experience on SQL and one of my customer asking me to implement SQL Replication for him in another site which mean any update on the main SQL will be replicated to new installation in the remote site. is this possible? and what i need exactly to do? taking into the consderation SQL is installed now on windows server 2008 R2 standard edition 64 bit.

Your help is needed and much appreciated.

Ahmed Al-Ahmed MCITP Enterprise Administrator

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:24 PM

All replies

• Monday, December 10, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Dear Uri,

Thanks for your reply, but let me clear things. the server already installed and the application already runing with SQL 2005. is it possible to replicate it to another server in another site?

Monday, December 10, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Be careful about terminology.  "Replication" is a specific SQL technology that allows for copies of the data (not the database) to be synchronized to multiple locations.  There is also the generic concept of "replication" where the actual databases are synchronized to multiple locations.  If you are building a failover system then SQL "Replication" is not a suitable solution. 

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:07 PM
  • As Geoff mentioned, SQL "replication" is a specific term to describe a specific SQL feature. If you are talking in more general terms as is moving data from site A to site B then you need to investigate all the available options including the aformention replication, plus log shipping and database mirroring (though with SQL Standard Edition I wouldn't recommend that for cross site replication).  There are also 3rd party replication solutions as well that can replicate at the block level.

What are they trying to accomplish?  What is the RTO and RPO?  Knowing a little more about the desired outcome will help us recommend a solution.

David A. Bermingham, MVP, Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:03 PM
  • thank you for your reply, unfortunatlley my SQL expert almost 5% and i have to do some types of disaster recovery in case if the server fail other server in other site should server the company as if nothing happend? is this possible?

Thanks

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:37 PM
  • Thank you Mr. David for your help and sharing info here. i will try to make things easy here.

The company need to have there SQL application in another site and replicate with the one on the main office in case if the server in the main office goes down the server in the remote site "branch office" will handle the request "access" to all users as nothing happens.

down time almost zero is that possible?

Many thanks

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Your Windows Server Standard Edition elimininates the possiblity of a multisite cluster, so the solution with the best RTO/RPO available to you is Database Mirroring.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc917680.aspx

David A. Bermingham, MVP, Senior Technical Evangelist, SIOS Technology Corp

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:49 PM
  • Mr david. what if we install windows enterprise edition.

is this will give us better solution?

Monday, December 10, 2012 8:58 PM