none
SQL Server 2012 RC0 restore database

Question

• Hi,

I have SQL Server 2012 RC0 64-bit installed & running (on Win 2008 Server R2 64-bit virtual machine). I was trying to restore SQL Server 2008 database backup using SSMS and I don't see OK or Cancel buttons on GUI for "Restore Database". All I see is "Verify Backup Media" as shown below:

FYI, but when I scripted the restore command, it worked fine from query window. Has anybody experienced this?

Thank you all for your time & help.

Manoj

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 1:17 PM

Answers

• I setup VM with new instance of SQL 2012 RC0. When loading SQL 2008 R2 backup of the Contoso BI demo database I am able to restore it.

Just something to check here, but if you maximize the the Restore GUI window do you still not see the OK/Cancel buttons?

Shawn Melton
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Manoj,

Click on Device, then the ellipses (...) and browse to your backup media.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Hi George,

Yes, I selected device using browse, selected correct backup files, checked timeline and all other options etc But I still see only "Verify Backup Media" button. Not sure what's going on with my 64-bit VM environment.

Anyway, I ended up restoring using "restore" command from SSMS new query window But was just wondering if anyone else had similar problem.

Thanks,

Manoj

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:13 PM
  • Manoj,

My guess is that it isn't seeing it as a valid SQL 2012 backup and so doesn't appear to verify the media.

When you restore your database from command line, there is no validation/verification checks beyond the restore command. Also, when you restore an older database to a newer version of SQL, an in place upgrade is performed on the database while restoring.

If you now take a SQL 2012 backup and try to restore, I'm thinking the restore utility will see it as valid and will be available.

If this is the case, Microsoft should take a look at this functionality with legacy backups.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 5:33 PM
  • George,

I think what you said makes sense. So I created fresh/new database from 2012 SSMS with compatibility level of 'SQL Server 2012 (110)' and took full backup of it.

I then started restore database UI and selected backup device/file of above database and Still only "Verify Backup Media" button on that dialog box. So regardless of what SQL version backup I am tried restoring no OK/Cancel buttons, still confused with database restore using GUI.

My select @@version output as below:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft SQL Server 2012 RC0 - 11.0.1750.32 (X64)
    Nov 4 2011 17:54:22
    Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
    Enterprise Evaluation Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1) (Hypervisor)

(1 row(s) affected)

Thanks,

Manoj

Thursday, November 24, 2011 8:16 AM
  • Hi Manoj,

I was unable to reproduce the issue that you are reporting I'm afraid. I am using Denali CTP3, but there shouldn't be much difference in functionality. I backed up a Master Data Warehouse database, went to restore, chose device, browsed to the folder and selected the .bak file, the Destination Database dropdown was already populated with MDWarehouse and the backup sets to restore was available and checked.

Something that I noticed is that you have Enterprise Evaluation Edition. Previously, if you tried to restore a backup to a version and had used features that were not supported, you would recieve an error restoring. However that typically would occur when going from an Evaluation Enterprise Edition to a Standard version for example. It might also happen if you backed up from an Express version of SQL to an Enterprise Evaluation edition as the Express version would actually have a newer version (and you cant go backwards when restoring SQL version).

That doesn't seem to be your case however, so I would be most interested in what is causing your glitch.

Friday, November 25, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Hi Manoj,

I was unable to reproduce the issue that you are reporting I'm afraid. I am using Denali CTP3, but there shouldn't be much difference in functionality.

Yeah, there should be. You cannot correctly reproduce his situation unless you are running SQL Server 2012 RC0. There were a lot of changes implemented from connect items in RC0 that would not have appeared in CTP3. There could be many changes made between CTP3 and the first RC. I am in the process of downloading it.

Shawn Melton
    Friday, November 25, 2011 11:56 PM
  • Hi George,

I installed SQL Server 2012 RC0 on fresh VM environment with NO prior MS SQL of any previous versions, so it was fresh RC0 install. All I tried was to restore "SQL 2008 developer edition" (not r2) backup in  SQL 2012 RC0 and can't see Ok/Cancel buttons in restore database GUI dialog box.

Also, as I in previous post "restore" T-SQL command worked just fine so it's just that for UI I am having restore problems. Again no error, I just can't proceed from UI even after selecting correct device/backup file.

Yes, my VM is running  Enterprise Evaluation Edition (64-bit) of SQL 2012 RC0, but then I guess that's default (except 32/64 bit) if one is not installing RC0 express.

Thanks,

Manoj

Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:27 PM
  • Thanks Shawn, please let us know if you happened to reproduce what I have experienced.
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:29 PM
  • I setup VM with new instance of SQL 2012 RC0. When loading SQL 2008 R2 backup of the Contoso BI demo database I am able to restore it.

Just something to check here, but if you maximize the the Restore GUI window do you still not see the OK/Cancel buttons?

Shawn Melton
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:55 AM
  • It turns out that my screen resolution was culprit. I tried opening "restore database" UI from another large screen computer and found Ok/Cancel buttons. I had of course tried "maximize" from original computer screen and didn't see those other buttons.

But Shawn's above reply gave me correct hint. Thank you Shawn. I will try actual db restore using UI now and mark this resolved.

Thank you all.

Manoj

Monday, November 28, 2011 10:29 AM
  • I have the same problem.
    Alan
    Thursday, January 05, 2012 3:33 PM
  • I had same problem in Management Studio ver. 11.0.1750.32 and problem is realy in display resolution. First printscreen is from notebook with resolution 1366 x 768 and second when I was connected on the notebook Remote Desktop with resolution 1920 x 1200.

Tom

• Edited by TomSyk72 Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:58 PM
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:24 PM
  • Hi - Thanks for posting your issue as I also experienced the same problem.

It seems that the screens hight resolution must be at least 860 pixels before the OK, Cancel and Help buttons are clearly visible.

Pity that the window cannot be resized (e.g. with mouse dragging).

Siggy

Tuesday, May 01, 2012 7:29 PM
  • Hi

Interesting issue. I added it to my wife's blog post sql server 2012 restore database as "known issues".

Regards

Emil

We are building a data warehouse no smoke & mirrors ;)

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:13 PM
  • I have the same problem on a machine with a full HD display, but with font scaling set to 125%.

This is with Windows 8, and after maximzing the dialog I was able to see a sliver of the other buttons and could identify the highlighting of the OK button and was able to complete the process.

I am thinking that you could probably just press Enter to activate the unseen OK button, or tab through, based on the screen-shot order shown above.

Thursday, November 08, 2012 5:44 PM
  • I had same issue today... but as Manoj Badamikar said, its screen resolution issue... 

Thanks Manoj.. 

Regards

Nazakath 

Monday, January 07, 2013 1:38 PM
  • Hi Manoj,

I faced this too today. Posting just in case it may help someone who is stuck.

If you have a .bak file and trying to restore it, you can do it with the restore Files and FileGroups option in the Restore-> Menu. 

Just tried it today and it worked. The Restore Files and FileGroups window needs a smaller resolution than the Restore Database window !!! thanks..

• Edited by Feba Thomas Friday, September 27, 2013 10:36 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Simple Solution:

This is purely Screen Resolution problem.  nothing to worry and no need to take any further setup or configuration.  OK and Cancel buttons were hidden in the same window.

Just click anywhere in the empty space of "Backup sets to restore" and hit "enter" key of your keyboard.

Since the OK button has a default index, the execution will start immediately. (y)

Friday, December 13, 2013 9:11 AM