none
"An unexpected error occurred. Please send the log file to product support.

Question

• Migrating Access 2007 db to SQL Server 2005. Things go fine until it attempts to connect to SQL Server, then I get this:

"An unexpected error occurred. Please send the log file to product support.
    For more information, see "Getting SSMA Assistance" in the product documentation.
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

I have no idea where this log file is as I'm running this on a Windows 7 machine. A search of the entire C drive yields nothing.

I'm using VIC-WIN7\SQLEXPRESS for the Server Name which is what is used in SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express.

Thank you very much

Vic

Visual Basic; Access; PHP; SQL Server; MySQL Developer
    Thursday, October 07, 2010 11:14 PM

Answers

• This problem is now resolved.  It turns out that that I couln't run the 32bit version of SSMA for Access on my 64bit box which was causing the problem. I was able to install SSMA on a Vista 32bit box and run the conversion to SQL Server and that works fine.  So at least for me this is a satisfactory solution for getting the Access Database Converted.

I might add that Srini was extremely helpful and knowledgable in getting this problem resolved.  Many thanks to all who contributed expecially Chunsong.

Thanks Again,

Vic

• Marked as answer by VicSpain Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:49 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:49 PM

All replies

• Check if registering the adodb.dll in GAC helps. More details here

Pradeep Adiga
    My blog: http://www.sqldbadiaries.com

Recent posts on my blog
    Friday, October 08, 2010 5:11 AM
  • Pradeep,  When I tried to registr gacutil it had never been installed.  I downloaded Framework 1.1 SDK (105 mb) as this seems to be the only place to get it.  However, after I installed it gacutil is still not there.  The correct folder structure is there but the util is missing.

I noticed there are 2 versions of SSMA, 1 says 32 bit and the other doesn't say so I'm assuming it is 64bit.  Maybe this is the one I should have been using all along. But when I use it, I'm able to connect to the server but I get the message "Nothing to process".  I noticed in the metdata the tables and queries do not have anything which I'm sure is why the message occurs.

The following message is in the output window:

Access Object Collector error: Database
         Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CD7791B9-43FD-42C5-AE42-8DD2811F0419} failed due to the following error: 80040154. This error may be a result of running SSMA as 64-bit application while having only 32-bit connectivity components installed or vice versa. Please run SSMA in 32-bit (or 64-bit) mode or consider updating your connectivity components from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=197502.
         An error occurred while loading database content.

These are the components for Access 2010 but I'm converting an Access 2007 database.  I suppose it's because I'm running the 64bit version of SSMA. I will download and try again.

Vic

Friday, October 08, 2010 2:24 PM
  • Did you try contacting ssmahelp@microsoft.com ?
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/blakhani
    Team Blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlserverfaq
    Friday, October 08, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Ok - I'm getting nowhere fast -

I can't install the 64 bit runtime version because I have 32 bit office installed.  It tells me that I have to uninstall my 32 bit version of Office and then install the 64 bit version.

Anyone have any ideaas?

Thanks,

Vic

Friday, October 08, 2010 2:34 PM
  • I am currently testing on this and update here soon.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 8:34 AM
  • Hi vic,

Based my tests below, to resolve the above issues, please apply SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 before run SSMA; also you need to run SSMA 2005 for Access (32-bit) for Office Access 32-bit application.

-----------------------------------------
    The below is my test and test results:

System environment: Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SQL Server 2005 Express RTM, SQL Server 2005 Management Studio Express RTM, Microsoft Office Access 2007 SP2 (12.0.6425.1000) 32-bit, SSMA 2005 for SQL Server v4.2

Test 1:

1.     Create an Access 2007 database, one sample table with 2 columns (ID, Name2), insert several records and save the Access database file.

2.     Run SQL Server Migration Assistant 2005 for Access (32-bit), while connecting to Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express, I also get the same error as your in below:

"An unexpected error occurred. Please send the log file to product support. For more information, see "Getting SSMA Assistance" in the product documentation. Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

3.     Run SQL Server Migration Assistant 2005 for Access (this is 64-bit runtime), I also get the same error after added the Access database file as below:

Access Object Collector error: Database

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {CD7791B9-43FD-42C5-AE42-8DD2811F0419} failed due to the following error: 80040154. This error may be a result of running SSMA as 64-bit application while having only 32-bit connectivity components installed or vice versa. Please run SSMA in 32-bit (or 64-bit) mode or consider updating your connectivity components from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=197502.

An error occurred while loading database content.

For the second issue, this should be due to that the Office Access 2007 is 32-bit application. However, when you run 64-bit SSMA 2005 for Access, the Access should be install as 64-bit application.

To resolve the first issue, I downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 from Microsoft Download Center (http://download.microsoft.com), after applying SQL Server 2005 Express SP2, I did the following test.

Test 2:

Run SQL Server Migration Assistant 2005 for Access (32-bit), I use the Migration Wizard, add Access database file without error, connect to SQL Server 2005 (Sp3 this time) without error, and follow the steps all table data successfully migrated to SQL Server database.

-----------------------------------------

Hope this helps.

If you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 12:48 PM
  • Chunsong,

Thank you for the reply!

However, I am unable to install SP3.  I’ve tried to run both the 64 bit and the 32 bit but both version will not allow me to select anything.  Clicking on any box does nothing.  If I press the space bar a check mark will flash but does not stick.

Am I to run both of these versions?  My machine is 64 bit Windows 7.  If so how?

Thanks,

Vic

Friday, October 15, 2010 12:16 AM
  • Hi Vic,

Thanks for your update.

Since this is an instance of SQL Server 2005 Express, Please apply SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 instead of SQL Server 2005 SP3. You can download SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 (SQLEXPR.EXE for 64-bit OS) from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=3181842A-4090-4431-ACDD-9A1C832E65A6.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Friday, October 15, 2010 2:02 AM
  • Chunsong,

Thank you for the reply.

I get the message that it is already instlled on my system.   Now what?

Vic

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Hi Vic,

If it is SP3 now, you should be able to use SSMA 2005 for SQL Server to migrate Access 2007 database to SQL Server 2005 Express SP3. You could run the following statement to check the instance vesion, which should show 9.00.4035.00 if SP3 applied.

USE master
    GO
    SELECT @@VERSION
    GO

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:20 AM
  • Chunsong,

The staements you supplied do return the correct version # ( 9.00.4035.00 ) so SP3 is installed.  However, I continue to get the same message when tgrying to migrate an Access database using SSMA.

Thanks,

Vic

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:50 AM
  • Please try a system reboot to see if it works and make sure you use 32-bit SSMA for Access.

Monday, October 18, 2010 1:54 AM
  • A system reboot did not help and yes I am using 32-bit SSMA for Access.
    Monday, October 18, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Hi Vic,

Thanks for your update.

I just found that there are two versions of SSMA 2005 for Access, v4.0 and v4.2. The version I used for testing is v4.2. If you use SSMA 2005 for Access 4.0, please uninstall and reinstall SSMA 2005 for Access 4.2 instead.

If this still does not help, you may need to open an CSS case with Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Chunsong

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:25 AM
  • Chunsong,

I am on 4.2.2277. 

I did open a case with SSMA Support [REG:110101273436980] and it was assigned to Srini Gajjela. He (?) was supposed to call me Monday but it never happened.  I'll contact him again.

Thanks for the help Chunsong, very much appreciated.

Vic

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:21 AM
  • This problem is now resolved.  It turns out that that I couln't run the 32bit version of SSMA for Access on my 64bit box which was causing the problem. I was able to install SSMA on a Vista 32bit box and run the conversion to SQL Server and that works fine.  So at least for me this is a satisfactory solution for getting the Access Database Converted.

I might add that Srini was extremely helpful and knowledgable in getting this problem resolved.  Many thanks to all who contributed expecially Chunsong.

Thanks Again,

Vic

• Marked as answer by VicSpain Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:49 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 10:49 PM