none
unable to install management tools pls help!

Question

• i am trying to install sql server management tools on windows xp sp3

when i run the setup cd sql server 2008 ..i just see the cmd prompt pop up and disappear and then nothing happens

i tried to run sql server 2005 setup-> install sql client  and i get the below errors

Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client

Product Version : 9.00.1399.06

Install         : Failed

Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_SNAC.log

Error Number    : 1645

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SW1110-5715 : There was an unexpected failure during the setup wizard. You may review the setup logs and/or click the help button for more information.

SQL Server Setup failed. For more information, review the Setup log file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt.

Time            : Sun Dec 09 16:43:53 2012

List of log files:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_Core.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_Datastore.xml

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_.NET Framework Windows Installer.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Summary.txt

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_.NET Framework Windows Installer LangPack.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_.NET Framework 2.0.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_.NET Framework 2.0 LangPack.log

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0006_1190_SNAC.log

• Edited by LuckyDba Sunday, December 09, 2012 10:51 PM
    • Changed type LuckyDba Monday, December 10, 2012 12:40 AM
    Sunday, December 09, 2012 10:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Can you check Add / Remove programs, and see if Microsoft SQL Server Native Client is listed? If so, uninstall it, and then try installing the Management tools again.

Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:11 PM
  • hi Anthony

i checked for Microsoft sql server native client in add/remove programs

it was not there

Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:14 PM
  • i copied sql server 2005 on the local drive and i am able to run the installation

can some one please tell me why am  i unable to to run sql server 2008 which is on the local hard drive

when i run the setup it pops up a cmd prompt and then nothing happens

i dont have any logs to check why its happenning

can some one please explain me a work around for this

thank you

~lucky

Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Hello,

Please try to download and install .NET Framework 3.5 with SP1 included from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150  

Once you install .NET Framework with SP1, try to run SQL Server 2008 setup again.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:02 AM
  • can i install sql server 2008 64 bit management studio on a 32 bit machine

i did install it and it and it works fine

Can you please suggest me something on this.is it ok to install it like that?

there is already .NET framework 3.5 sp1 installed on the system

• Edited by LuckyDba Monday, December 10, 2012 3:00 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 2:52 PM
  • Hello,

If SQL Server setup did not stop you from installing it and it installed successfully, then do not worry.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:00 PM
  • thank you Alberto

I am unable to run the setup file

i reinstalled .net framework 3.5

When i run the setup file it pops up a cmd prompt window and then nothing happens

• Edited by LuckyDba Monday, December 10, 2012 3:19 PM
    Monday, December 10, 2012 3:13 PM
  • Hello,

Please try to download and install SQL Server Native Client from the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=6375

Once you install SQL Server Native Client, please try to run SQL Server setup again.

Make sure you are not running setup on a compress or encrypted drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:52 PM