none
Cannot format SSRS Report Secondary/Primary Axis Labels Per Requirements

Question

• Using Report Builder and Visual Studio 2008 Report Builder I cannot format the Primary and Secondary Value/Y-Axis of a bar chart so that the value of the label is under the major tick, as in the screen shot below per my requirements.  Please help!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by BradleyW Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:30 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 7:24 PM

Answers

• Hi BradleyW,

Thank you for posting.

To generate RDL report programmatically, we can use the XmlDocument class which provides an XML document object model (DOM) we can use to quickly generate the data structure of an RDL, and helps us to build report definition documents that conform to the RDL specification.

Reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170667(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by BradleyW Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BradleyW Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by BradleyW Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:12 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Your answer there Mark is incorrect.  In fact I found a way to do it by under laying a Chart Area under the bar graph with the same data for the axis, but subtracting it a little, hiding the bars, hiding the tick mark, and thus you have the axis value under the tick mark with some of the spacing tweaked for the charting areas.  Hope this makes sense as it does in fact work.  Mark this as an answer to the original question and don't bother suggesting it to development, it can be done.
    • Marked as answer by BradleyW Friday, August 23, 2013 5:05 PM
    Friday, August 23, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Your answer there Katherine is incorrect.  In fact I found a way to do it by under laying a Chart Area under the bar graph with the same data for the axis, but subtracting it a little, hiding the bars, hiding the tick mark, and thus you have the axis value under the tick mark with some of the spacing tweaked for the charting areas.  Hope this makes sense as it does in fact work.  Mark this as an answer to the original question and don't bother suggesting it to development, it can be done.
    • Marked as answer by BradleyW Friday, August 23, 2013 5:04 PM

All replies

• I'm thinking maybe the image posted was not clear enough in regards to what I'm looking for so below is the image of the entire graph.  I'm looking for the major tick mark labels to be positioned under the tick mark.  Again any assistance would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Thursday, August 01, 2013 2:53 PM
  • I can't believe no one has ever tried to do this within Report Builder for SSRS.  Is there any that has any suggestions other than building this whole report dynamically, which I do not want to do whatsoever.  Thanks.
    Thursday, August 01, 2013 5:24 PM
  • Hi BradleyW ,

Based on your description, do you want to display the label data under the Major Tick Marks ? If so, it is not supported in current release of Reporting Services. The label data can only display next to the Major Tick Marks, it is by design.

I would suggest you submitting a wish at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback

Connect site is a connection point between you and Microsoft, and ultimately the larger community. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thanks,
    Katherine Xiong

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 1:09 AM
  • Yes,  that is what I want to do, label under the tick mark.  Is there a way to do a dynamic graph within a static report.  I don't want to build the entire report dynamically, just this graph?  Thanks.

Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:55 PM
  • I may be able to do something with the spark line?
    Tuesday, August 06, 2013 7:56 PM
  • Hi BradleyW ,

As Katherine posted above, it is impossible to set the axis labels to be under the Major Tick Marks. If you mean dynamic width or height for the chart by saying "dynamic graph", you can set the DynamicWidth and DynamicHeight properties in the chart. For the detailed information, please see:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robertbruckner/archive/2008/10/27/charts-with-dynamic-size-based-on-categories-or-data.aspx

Regards,

Mike Yin

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:02 PM
  • Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me.  When I write "dynamic" I mean possibly writing some C# and dynamically embedding it into a static ssrs report.  Or is there a way to put dynamic code to build the report in the back end of the report in the "Code" section to build an entire graph, dynamically?  Thanks.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:05 PM
  • Hi BradleyW,

Thank you for posting.

To generate RDL report programmatically, we can use the XmlDocument class which provides an XML document object model (DOM) we can use to quickly generate the data structure of an RDL, and helps us to build report definition documents that conform to the RDL specification.

Reference:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170667(v=sql.105).aspx

Regards,

Mike Yin

• Marked as answer by BradleyW Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by BradleyW Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:12 PM
    • Marked as answer by BradleyW Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:12 PM
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:55 PM
  • Well that answered my question to the question that could not be answered, thus providing me with a possible work around.  Thanks.
    Thursday, August 08, 2013 9:13 PM
  • Your answer there Mark is incorrect.  In fact I found a way to do it by under laying a Chart Area under the bar graph with the same data for the axis, but subtracting it a little, hiding the bars, hiding the tick mark, and thus you have the axis value under the tick mark with some of the spacing tweaked for the charting areas.  Hope this makes sense as it does in fact work.  Mark this as an answer to the original question and don't bother suggesting it to development, it can be done.
    • Marked as answer by BradleyW Friday, August 23, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Your answer there Katherine is incorrect.  In fact I found a way to do it by under laying a Chart Area under the bar graph with the same data for the axis, but subtracting it a little, hiding the bars, hiding the tick mark, and thus you have the axis value under the tick mark with some of the spacing tweaked for the charting areas.  Hope this makes sense as it does in fact work.  Mark this as an answer to the original question and don't bother suggesting it to development, it can be done.
    • Marked as answer by BradleyW Friday, August 23, 2013 5:04 PM