none
Data at the root level is invalid error in ssrs 2012

Question

• Hi All,

I am having an RDL file and I am trying to add this file in my project. But when I am trying to open the report the below error I am getting.

This is kind of critical for me. Any help would be highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance...

sarat chandra sahoo

Thursday, December 05, 2013 9:44 AM

Answers

• Hi sarat,

This error would be happened when an XML file is not formed properly. Did you modified the XML file? It may have gotten corrupted. Perhaps there were some invalid characters in the xml.

Please use Notepad to open the .rdl file to check. If the issue is persist, could you please post the XML code? It is benefit for us to do further analysis.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Alisa Tang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by sarat sahoo Friday, December 06, 2013 7:46 AM
    Friday, December 06, 2013 5:46 AM

All replies

• Copy over the rdlc files from the solution to the published area.
    Thursday, December 05, 2013 11:31 AM
  • Hi sarat,

This error would be happened when an XML file is not formed properly. Did you modified the XML file? It may have gotten corrupted. Perhaps there were some invalid characters in the xml.

Please use Notepad to open the .rdl file to check. If the issue is persist, could you please post the XML code? It is benefit for us to do further analysis.

Regards,
    Alisa Tang

Alisa Tang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by sarat sahoo Friday, December 06, 2013 7:46 AM
    Friday, December 06, 2013 5:46 AM
  • Hi Alisa,

You are correct. There were some garbage present in the XML file at the last (After </Report>).

Once I had deleted those part from the RDL (Through Notepad), the report was opened in the project and working fine now.

But I had a doubt here. If a RDL is created in a server and tried to use the RDL in a different server then this problem is occurring. i have checked all the RDL files and all were having same problem as this.

In both the server we are using SSDT for SQL Server 2012. If you still need the corrupted XML file then I can send it across.

Thanks,

sarat chandra sahoo

Friday, December 06, 2013 7:45 AM