none
x64-Bit Install of SQL Server 2005

Question

• I have a AMD 64-bit multi-processor server that is currently running the 32-bit version of SQL Server 2005 without any problems and we are using it.  (I followed the instructions on how to install the x64 version of the v2.0 of the .NET Framework and it is running properly.)

Now I want to move forward with installing the 64-bit version of SQL Server 2005 and the associated services such as SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS.

The plan is to basically uninstall the 32-bit version of SQL Server and then just install the x64 version,  Are their any issues with the installation?  I didn't see any 'read-me' on the x64 DVD disk.   While we have lots of experience with 32-bit installations...this is our first x64 box...so I thought I should ask.

Thank you.

...cordell...

Friday, October 06, 2006 11:36 PM

Answers

• I nosed around in the .NET Forum (64-Bit Framework) and was able to track down a solution.

Internet Information Services in Windows x64 is 64-bit.  This means, if you want to run 32-bit ISAPI DLLs with IIS6 on Windows x64, you'll need to apply a small tweak.  Open up a Command Prompt window, and type this command to enable 32-bit Application Pools:

cscript %SystemDrive%\inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs set w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1

Down the road, if you've made the required steps to update your stuff to 64-bit, type the following to re-enable 64-bit Application Pools:

cscript %SystemDrive%\inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs set w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0

In this case you need to re-enable the 64-bit Application pool in order to install Report Server since it a 64-Bit service that uses IIS to access and distribute it's content.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:53 PM
  • Your plan is correct.  Just uninstall all of the 32-bit SQL components from Add/Remove Programs (including SQL Native Client) and then go through your 64-bit install.  You shouldn't have any problems with this scenario.  If anything looks funny or you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

Saturday, October 07, 2006 4:02 AM
  • Great, thanks for posting the solution, Cordell!

Sam

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 10:48 PM

All replies

• Your plan is correct.  Just uninstall all of the 32-bit SQL components from Add/Remove Programs (including SQL Native Client) and then go through your 64-bit install.  You shouldn't have any problems with this scenario.  If anything looks funny or you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

Saturday, October 07, 2006 4:02 AM
  • Hello Sam....

I have installed the x64 v2.0 of the .Net Framework...but I am still getting a message when SQL Server 2005 Standard edition is performing a pre-check of the server prior to installation.

ASP.Net Version Registration Requirement  32-bit ASP.Net is Registered. Required 64-bit ASP.Net to install Microsoft Reporting Services 2005(64-bit).

The x64 bit installation of the framework was successful and I can see in the Add/Remove Programs dialog that the 64-bit Framework is listed.

I also verififed that in the web services extension folder in the IIS Manger tool that the 64-bit version of the Framework extension is installed and has a status of 'allowed'.  The 32-bit version of the Framework is 'prohibted.'

Thank you,

...cordell...

Monday, October 09, 2006 6:56 PM
  • Hmmm... I found this thread about going the other direction (installing 32-bit Reporting Services in the WoW layer).  Can you take a look at the steps listed and see if you can apply them to your situation?  And just to double check, when you uninstalled all the components, did you also uninstall the 32-bit .NET framework? 

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=273408&SiteID=1

Thanks,
    Sam

Monday, October 09, 2006 7:42 PM
  • I nosed around in the .NET Forum (64-Bit Framework) and was able to track down a solution.

Internet Information Services in Windows x64 is 64-bit.  This means, if you want to run 32-bit ISAPI DLLs with IIS6 on Windows x64, you'll need to apply a small tweak.  Open up a Command Prompt window, and type this command to enable 32-bit Application Pools:

cscript %SystemDrive%\inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs set w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 1

Down the road, if you've made the required steps to update your stuff to 64-bit, type the following to re-enable 64-bit Application Pools:

cscript %SystemDrive%\inetpub\AdminScripts\adsutil.vbs set w3svc/AppPools/Enable32bitAppOnWin64 0

In this case you need to re-enable the 64-bit Application pool in order to install Report Server since it a 64-Bit service that uses IIS to access and distribute it's content.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 8:53 PM
  • Great, thanks for posting the solution, Cordell!

Sam

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 10:48 PM
  • You seem to have experience mixing these 32/64 environments.

We added (2) SQL2005 SP2, x64 Win 2003 SP2 bit back-end DB servers to the mix of (5) existing SQL2005 32 bit boxes. The load from 32 bit IIS Web farm is evenly distributed across these. Occasionally one of the 64 bit boxes will stop accepting connections, become unresponsive - error on Web Clients like "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired. " CPU, Mem, diskIO, etc all low on SQL 64 box. Is there compatibility issue connecting legacy 32bit Apps to 64bit SQL?

The 64 bit SQL boxes recover in some minutes and return to perfoming 10x faster for queries than the 32 bit boxes. We have Profiled and Perfmoned these to death - just seems they hit a brick wall in some of the connection layers. We have call open with MS -no solution so far. What tools can we examine connection layers with - keeping in mind only 64 bit seems to have the problem. Thanks. 

Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:18 PM
  • Hi Sam,

I am really stumped and nothing seems to be working. I have a Windows 2008 standard edition server (64bit edition). I am trying to do the basic SQL 2005 setup. I get green checks all the way through except for "ASP.Net version registration requirement". I'm getting an error message that says "Failed to find the ASP.Net Version Registration with Microsoft Information Services (IIS). I already uninstalled and reinstalled IIS 7.0. When I look in both of the app pools in IIS, I see that 32 bit applications are allowed to run. What else am i missing? Your help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to prep this machine for CRM4.0.

Thanks

Monday, April 21, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Same problem here. I have be scouring the forum for a good solution and haven't found one yet. Please let me know if you find something.

Thanks

Monday, December 08, 2008 7:17 PM
  • Did you ever find a solution to this? 

We encountered a similar problem gettin a Timeout expired when using an old Classic ASP page that was poorly written. This page created alot of implied connections and wasn't properly using connection pooling. In our case, we can watch Logins/sec suddenly jump when the page started, all other activity appeared very low (CPU, drive I/O queue length, etc). Using multiple connection objects in the old ASP page was the easy solution (can't create a second recordset on the same page).
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:27 AM
  • Sam,

I have a Newbie SQL 2005 question. Could you please look at this and tell me what you think? Thanks.

Description of issue:
    I just completed a fresh install of SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2008 (Both 64 Bit). I'm trying to add another user to SQL with DB Creator rights. The problem is that when I log into SQL Server Management Studio, I do not have the "Security" option in the drop-down menu. Did I miss something during setup?

When I set SQL up, the only thing I can think of that may relate to this is on the Authentication screen. There were options for SQL authentication, Windows Authentication or, Mixed mode (I may have made one of those up, but you get my point :) ). I choose Windows Authentication. Is this my problem? And if it is, how do I fix it without having to rebuild the whole SQL server? If this is not my problem, do you have an idea of what is going on?

Otherwise I'm logging onto the SQL server machine using a domain admin account. I am able to get the Reports Server and Reports, as well. So, for the most part, it seems the installation went ok.

I've set up SQL twice before, but it has been almost 8 months ago, so I'm relatively a newbie when it comes to SQL. Can you help out with this?

Thanks
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 3:26 PM