none
Is it safe to delete the "Update Cache" folder?

Question

• In C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache, I've got a copy of (what looks like) SQL Server 2008 SP1, occupying about 340MB of disk space.

Is it safe to delete this folder? Will deleting it impact upgrade or repair scenarios?

Saturday, March 27, 2010 5:14 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

There is some information available that repair will use this folder but i cannot confirm that. So don't delete it permanantly.

If you are short of disk space in drive c: I think you can temporarily move this folder to another drive.

Hope this helps.

BR,

JoukoK

Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:33 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

There is some information available that repair will use this folder but i cannot confirm that. So don't delete it permanantly.

If you are short of disk space in drive c: I think you can temporarily move this folder to another drive.

Hope this helps.

BR,

JoukoK

Sunday, March 28, 2010 3:33 PM
  • After a few CU's on SQL 2008, my:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache

is now 1.29 GB.

Davide Elessar Envinyatar Dúnadan
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 9:26 AM
  • I'm seeing 3 GB in 7 KB folders at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Update Cache. It's a 70 GB disk, but 33 Gb is used for pagefile, and a bunch in the winsxs folder so things will need some reorganization soon.

--

I just found something in KB2015100. The Cause section says in part: "...When repairing the product or when installing service packs, hotfixes or cumulative updates, should these cached files be found to be missing, an error will be logged as mentioned in the symptoms section."

it also lists some scripts to try to repair. Sounds like if they have to be moved they could be saved and returned temporarily during patching, however I'd worry there wouldn't be enough space to put them there when needed. I might foldermount another volume as "Update Cache\" on a test box and see how that works before trying in production. If that works, I can always put "Update Cache\" on a SAN and keep pagefile local a little longer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2015100 

Article ID: 2015100 - Last Review: June 18, 2010 - Revision: 4.0

How to Resolve missing MSI or MSP packages during SQL Server Service Packs, Hotfix or Cumulative Updates

Saturday, January 15, 2011 1:17 AM