none
Graphical report objects not consistently rendering

Question

• I have a dashboard report that heavily utilizes gauges and subreports to show the states of various metrics and sub-metrics.  It is mostly a tabular layout with the child metrics hidden until their parent metric is expanded.  When the report is executed, sometimes all of the charts render just fine.  Other times, none of them render, with the first one being replaced with a missing image icon and the rest only being white space.  Expanding or collapsing child metrics can sometimes cause the images to render correctly, or to fail.

Success:

Failure:

Admittedly, this report is not done very cleanly.  To quickly add sparklines to an existing report, a subreport was used to generate a sparkline rather than having the sparkline within the main report.  This has allowed for passing a CSV list to the sparkline report, where it is then expanded and converted to a full dataset. It also has allowed for easier visual fine-tuning of the sparkline object.  This makes, in total, around 150 total subreport renders. EDIT: Lowered from 280 - wrapped the gauge in a rectangle to keep the tablix from distorting it.  Not sure why I didn't think to do that earlier.

SSRS web head is a VM with ~5.5GB RAM, running SQL Server 2008 R2 and Windows 2003.  CPU jumps to around 30-40% utilization when this report is executed, from around 10%.  Memory usage does not change much.

I am assuming that the issue is the number of subreport instances, or chart objects, but I would like to better understand the specifics behind this, such as why it sometimes works, and always seems to work on export,  and if there are any ways to resolve the issue without eliminating those objects from the report or completely refactoring.

EDIT: This was due to the number of subreport calls.  Since grouping already existed, it was easy enough to pull the sparkline back to the same report, wrapping it in a rectangle as mentioned above with the change gauge.  Speed is a bit lower than previous, however everything renders correctly - worth the ~5 extra seconds.  Leaving this open, as I would still like any information that anyone can provide as to why this behavior might occur.

• Edited by Ahren P Monday, November 19, 2012 11:53 PM Issue resolved
    Monday, November 19, 2012 10:18 PM

Answers

• Hi Ahren,

In SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services, there is a known issue about the report rendering with the following scenario:

• You create a report in Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Reporting Services (SSRS 2008 R2).
    • The report has a tablix data region, and the region contains some chart, gauge, or map items.
    • You deploy the report and try to review it.

The issue may be caused by a javascript error with resizing image in Internet Explorer. The hotfix was first introduced in Cumulative update package 4 for SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1. To work around this issue, we can insert rectangles into the tablix before placing the chart items.

For more information, please see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2639301

Regards,
    Mike Yin

TechNet Subscriber Support
    If you areTechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedbackhere.

Mike Yin

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:15 PM