none
Error using OpenRowSet

Question

• Running this script, I get error message :

"Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0" for linked server "(null)".

use

master

go

DECLARE

@dosStmt VARCHAR(200) =

'copy C:\Users\dlivelsb\Documents\empty.xlsx C:\Users\dlivelsb\Documents\BRPDaveReport.xlsx'

EXEC

master..xp_cmdshell @dosStmt

insert

into OPENROWSET('Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0',

'Excel 12.0;Database=C:\Users\dlivelsb\Documents\BRPDaveReport.xlsx;'

'SELECT * FROM [Sheet1$]'

) SELECT country, ProductLineCode, AllocatedFunds, ClaimsPaid, AvailableFunds, PercentUsage

FROM [Coop].[dbo].[RptFundsReimbursed]

ORDER BY SortOrder

If a member of my team (that has admin rights to the SQL Server) runs this script, it works. What permissions do I need on the server to run this script? I don't think I should have to be an admin? I appreciate any help you can give me.

Monday, June 27, 2011 12:33 PM

Answers

• Thank you Shenq and Stefan.

Can you please explain why members on my team (that have admin rights to the server that has SQL Server) can run the script, but I cannot? I do not have admin rights on the server.

• Marked as answer by mh53j_fe Wednesday, July 06, 2011 3:31 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:25 PM

All replies

• Search for that, the most common cause: You're running a SQL Server 64bit and have only installed the 32-bit driver.
    Microsoft MVP Office Access
    https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Stefan.Hoffmann
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:14 PM
  • Stefan,

I asked my systems administrator to install the 64 bit version of the Microsoft Access database engine on the SQL Server. At this time, I can't confirm if he installed the 32 bit or 64 bit version.

I checked the server, and the database engine build is 14.0.4763.1000

Are you saying this build is the 32 bit driver?

Monday, June 27, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Build number doesn't tell 32bit or 64bit. If I'm not mistaken, Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 is a 64 bit only OLE DB provider. Hence please make sure you're using a 64 bit SQL Server(use taskmgr.exe to check it).

Please also make sure that your SQL Server process has access permission to those .xlsx files.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011 9:56 AM
  • Thank you Shenq and Stefan.

Can you please explain why members on my team (that have admin rights to the server that has SQL Server) can run the script, but I cannot? I do not have admin rights on the server.

• Marked as answer by mh53j_fe Wednesday, July 06, 2011 3:31 PM
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:25 PM