none
convert Crystal Report to SSRS report

Question

• Hi,

I have to migrate 20 .rpt file into .rdl file.

1.Could you please suggest what is the best approach to achieve this?

2.Can I make .xsd file as data source for .rdl file ? [Applicaiton feeds dynamic Dataset to .rpt report via .xsd file. ]

3. If the datasource query is dynamic depending on the user selected parameter, what is the best way to create a data source for .rdl file?

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Question 1: There is not an official tool to convert a Crystal report (RPT) to a Reporting Services report (RDL). It is recommended that you create the RDL report manually. For more information about create a basic report, you can refer to:
    Create a Basic Table Report (SSRS Tutorial)

Question 2: It’s true that Reporting Services supports XML type data source. The XML data source can be Web service, XML document or embedded XML document. Regarding the .xsd file created in Visual Studio, if you use it as the data source for a report in Reporting Services, it can only retrieves data from the XSD file definitions rather than the query result of the XSD dataset.

Reference:
    Creating Report Datasets from XML Data

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 01, 2013 2:54 AM

All replies

•  First option for you is to migrate those report manually to SSRS. This will elimiate all the options like xsd source etc. If you migrate manually means you need to re-create those reports in SSRS. But I bet - it is going to fast and easy in SSRS. Consider that option.

Please Mark posts as answers or helpful so that others can more easily find the answers they seek.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Hi,

there are some tools that doing that, but the result is not guaranteed :

Like http://www.crystalconversions.com/Default.aspx.

Personaly, i've do that manualy :(.

Regards

Dj's | Please mark as answered or vote helpful if this post help resolved your issue. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:29 PM
  • The best approach, and the only one that really works is to do it manually. 

Thanks! Josh Ash

Thursday, February 28, 2013 4:39 AM
  • THanks for your post. I am still looking for an answer for the quesiton.

Can I make .xsd file as data source for .rdl file ?

Thursday, February 28, 2013 8:34 AM
  • You are using xml as the datasource. This article from Microsoft may help.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964129(v=sql.90).aspx

A lot of people mentioned manual conversion is the way because they did not realize how good the automatic conversion can be. The fact is that 95% reports can be very nicely converted by the best automatic solution.

If you want to do the conversion manually, this link shows how to create a Crystal-like report with SSRS.

http://www.crystalmigrater.com/crystallikereport.html

Thursday, February 28, 2013 5:26 PM
  • Hi,

Question 1: There is not an official tool to convert a Crystal report (RPT) to a Reporting Services report (RDL). It is recommended that you create the RDL report manually. For more information about create a basic report, you can refer to:
    Create a Basic Table Report (SSRS Tutorial)

Question 2: It’s true that Reporting Services supports XML type data source. The XML data source can be Web service, XML document or embedded XML document. Regarding the .xsd file created in Visual Studio, if you use it as the data source for a report in Reporting Services, it can only retrieves data from the XSD file definitions rather than the query result of the XSD dataset.

Reference:
    Creating Report Datasets from XML Data

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, March 01, 2013 2:54 AM