none
SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition - FOR FREE

Question

• I’ve been studying about Oracle Database 9i and 10g: installing, upgrading, testing, and so on.

Note: I’m doing this in my laptop with Virtual Machines (training and not commercial purposes).

I can’t do the same tasks with Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

Why?

Firstly, let me explain my goals:
    As a professional database consultant, we need to learn about the product doing the tasks I mentioned above. If we don’t do this, will be almost impossible to be a great professional.

Oracle environment:
    We can build the whole Oracle environment for free…Yeah, it’s possible…

How to do:
    I’m using Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 (free download) on my Windows Vista Ultimate.
    Oracle website provide us (EVERYONE) the possibility to download all of products, and we can install it to training and know about the product (WITH NO date expiration).

Microsoft environment:
    One of the SQL Server editions is the Developer Edition, this edition is offered to develop, test and demonstrate your applications (NOT TO USE in production environments).

BUT….it’s NOT FREE…we need to pay around US$50 per user.

I know…is not too much money, but in my case I’ve been a Microsoft SQL Server Certified Professional since 2002, and I’m not allowed to download this edition for free.

The free download is only available for Trial Edition (180 days of evaluation, and you need to reinstall it).

Conclusion:
    I’m not considering here the another ways that exist to get the software: asking to a friend to burn a DVD, peer-to-peer computers network, and so on.

The question is: Why Microsoft don’t give us the opportunity to try and make good recommendations about the SQL Server?

Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:22 PM

Answers

• Thanks.  According to:

http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/trial-software.aspx

You get 180 day evaluation period with the Evaluation Edition which supports all of the Enterprise features of SQL Server.  That is roughly 1/2 yr of free usage of the application to evaluate it.  Beyond that I think it is pretty fair to pay a nominal fee of $50 for continued usage of the software, and it is possible to upgrade in place from Evaluation Edition.

The reason I know about Oracle Licensing and all the fine print, is we just had this question at my job, regarding the proper licensing of some new apps that a "Developer" not in the Development department built on Oracle.  We have many Enterprise Oracle Servers running on IA64 so the Oracle DBA had to research the correct licensing.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:11 AM
  • It's not a bug, and any Moderator or Answerer on the forums can mark a valid answer to a post as the answer which closes the thread.  The answer above does answer the post.  You can use Evaluation Edition for Free for 180 days.  If the purpose of the post is to express your opinion on the matter to Microsoft, then you need to log a Connect Feedback Item on the connect site at:

http://connect.microsoft.com/sqlserver

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:44 PM

All replies

• If you read the fine print of the Oracle Licensing Agreement, you are supposed to be paying for your usage.  The developer licenses from Oracle don't allow usage for training.  The fact that you can download the software and install it has nothing to do with following the licensing agreements that you check the box for when you download the installers.

Microsoft allows you to download and install Express Edition for free.  This gives you the ability to learn a majority of the functionality for free.  There are some limitations but a majority of features are free with Express.  They also made the CTP's and RC0's for 2008 available to the world for free for over a year, so the community had a lot of time to learn about the new features using the full package.

Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:52 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

SQL Server Express, don't give us the opportunity to test High Availability features, for example.

I know about CTP's, but the main goal is to test the product and give feedback about issues to Microsoft, and when the product was finally released we can't get a Developer Edition (but we worked for free).

Microsoft offers a MSDN subscription for Universities and the students can download the Enterprise Edition.

I would like to have a link in my MCP resources to download the Developer Edition instead of a link to the MCPStore or a place to write my resumé.

Well, Thank you for your opinion and congratulations for your MVP.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 12:42 AM
  • Thanks.  According to:

You get 180 day evaluation period with the Evaluation Edition which supports all of the Enterprise features of SQL Server.  That is roughly 1/2 yr of free usage of the application to evaluate it.  Beyond that I think it is pretty fair to pay a nominal fee of $50 for continued usage of the software, and it is possible to upgrade in place from Evaluation Edition.

The reason I know about Oracle Licensing and all the fine print, is we just had this question at my job, regarding the proper licensing of some new apps that a "Developer" not in the Development department built on Oracle.  We have many Enterprise Oracle Servers running on IA64 so the Oracle DBA had to research the correct licensing.

Sunday, October 12, 2008 1:11 AM
  • Hi Jonathon,

Although I understand the issues of software access control, I tend to agree that Microsoft should strive to provide individual developers with the software at an affordable price.  I also don't understand why college students would be extended an opportunity that an MCP/MCAD/MCSD is not. Regarding the CTGs, one would probably not want to continue their use as they often have issues such as, with the November and Feb CTGs a fundamental hurdle exists where the Adventureworks database install fails with issues due to Filestream and Full Text Features not installing properly.  However, I would be willing to pay $50, which version do I need to download to get that opprotunity and how do I receive the opportunity?

Thanks

Thursday, November 13, 2008 4:35 AM
  • You can buy the Developer Edition online at numerous locations.  For example, Amazon offers it for under $50:

SQL Svr Developer Edtn2008 dvd

I also don't understand why college students would be extended an opportunity that an MCP/MCAD/MCSD is not. 

None of these certifications to my best knowledge come with the developer edition of SQL Server.  They too would have to purchase it.  The books for such certifications often come with Evaluation Edition DVD's which you can download on the link I provided previously.  You get 1/2 yr to evaluate the software for free with that.  Even as a MCITP 2005 DBA or 2008 Developer certified professional I don't get to have Developer Edition Free.  I get that because my company provides me with MSDN Subscriber downloads for which they part a fee as part of our premier support contract.  I also get it as a MVP, but that came after I had MSDN download capabilities from my company.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 5:00 AM
  • Hello Guys,

The question here isn't the choices (payed) we have to get the SQL Server DEV.

I just started this thread, because in my opinion...who is SQL Server certified (MCDBA or MCITP), could have the advantage to download the DEV edition and use it.

Thank you guys.

P.S: I didn't mark this answer as a valid answer. Maybe there is a bug in this Forum that create valid answers automatically.

Code Snippet

Thanks.  According to:

Thursday, November 13, 2008 10:56 AM
  • It's not a bug, and any Moderator or Answerer on the forums can mark a valid answer to a post as the answer which closes the thread.  The answer above does answer the post.  You can use Evaluation Edition for Free for 180 days.  If the purpose of the post is to express your opinion on the matter to Microsoft, then you need to log a Connect Feedback Item on the connect site at:

http://connect.microsoft.com/sqlserver

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:44 PM
  • take it easy...

this is not a good matter to answer...

I just thought that who started the thread, was the only person that could mark an answer as valid.

In my opinion the answers marked as valid aren't valid, buttt...I'm just a simple user in this Forum...

This thread finish here to me.

Thank you for your time.

PS.: Only moderators and who started the thread can mark an answer as valid, not all answerers, butt...I guess you know...

Thursday, November 13, 2008 2:02 PM
  • When I said Answerers, I was referring to the members who have the Answerer marker under their name.  They have the ability to mark a post as answered as well.  General forum members replying to a post can't mark answers to any post unless they are the thread starter as you point out.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 3:37 PM
  • Hi Jonathan,

You mention we can get dev edition of SQLServer 2008 for about $50 off of Amazon.  But earlier you mentioned the enterprise features.  I am guessing that most of the enterprise features don't come in the $50 version but I am wondering.  Also would it be worthwhile to buy the $50 or simply get the Express edition?  Yeah it was great when I had access to an MSDN subscription.  Unfortunately what I am working with now is the Nov CTG from the spring launch, they didn't even provide the Feb CTG although it seems it was available.  Anyway no reason to discuss issues regarding those practices or software availability with you, that is a bit like shooting the messenger.  Thanks for any info you provide.

Saturday, November 15, 2008 9:32 PM
  • Developer Edition for SQL Server 2000/2005/2008 has all of the features from Enterprise Edition in it, just packaged under a different license for single developer per purchased copy/license use only.  Evaluation Edition also has all of the Enterprise Edition features, but in a limited time trial that expires in 180 days.  SQL Express Edition is very good for basic development and or learning of SQL.  For a DBA, I would recommend the Developer Edition simply because the exams require that you have knowledge of Enterprise features like Partitioning, Transparent Data Encryption, Data Compression.  If you don't want to use Enterprise Edition in your final product, be careful that you don't develop Enterprise featurs into your database or you will have to use EE in the end.

Hope that helps answer you question.

Sunday, November 16, 2008 12:37 AM
  • I have a follow on question (if this thread is still active/monitored). I am developing an application and do some work at home and some at my office (on desktop machines). Can I install the same copy of Developer Edition on my home and office computers? Or do I legally need a second Developer Edition license?

Thanks,

Monday, June 21, 2010 2:50 PM
  • You can install Developer's version on both computers as long as you don't use it for production development.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, July 30, 2012 12:01 PM