none
Connection handshake failed

Question

• I am attempting to set up mirroring for the first time between two servers.  The servers are on the same domain, I am using the wizard to setup mirroring, i am logged into each server using a domain account that has System Administrator privalges, this ID is a domain admin also, I can connect to each instance via SSMS in both directions, but cannot get the mirroring to work.  When attempting to start mirroring I get this error on the Principle instance.

On the mirror instance I get this message in the SQL Server log

Logon,Unknown,Database Mirroring login attempt by user 'MNS\VIPERDB00$.' failed with error: 'Connection handshake failed. The login 'MNS\VIPERDB00$' does not have CONNECT permission on the endpoint. State 84.'.  [CLIENT: 172.16.0.211]

MNS is the domain and viperdb00 is the server name

Any ideas?

John

Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi John,

What is the service account? Does the login 'MNS\VIPERDB00$’ exist in the SQL Server instance? Please have a look at this similar thread addressing this issue: Database Mirroring setup issue

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, November 04, 2011 11:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Wednesday, November 09, 2011 12:05 PM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Hi

It Seems that there is problem with user name. I would like to what you have defined in your service account section of mirroring configuration.

See Following Screen shot and highlighted area . You Must define your service account of principle and mirror instance and( Witness if applicable).

Apart From This  : "MNS\VIPERDB00$" Is it user  ? or its domain\machineName ?? (as per you last line in your reply ).

If it is a user can you please check if this user has permission on SQL Server Instance.

Mark as Answer If Reply Was Helpful
    Thanks
    Kuldeep Bisht
    Technical Lead @ Simplion Technologies
    Blog : www.dbsimplified.com
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:03 AM

All replies

• You Must Grant Connect To End Point Permission to User

GRANT CONNECT ON ENDPOINT::Endpoint_Mirroring TO [MNS\VIPERDB00$];

Thanks
    Kuldeep Bisht
    • Proposed as answer by retracement Saturday, October 29, 2011 7:35 PM
    Saturday, October 29, 2011 3:31 AM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I tried that also, but here is the message I recieved

"Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Cannot find the loginMsg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Cannot find the login 'MNS\VIPERDB00$', because it does not exist or you do not have permission. 'MNS\VIPERDB00$', because it does not exist or you do not have permission."

In this case, MNS is our domain and viperdb00 is the Principle database server

Monday, October 31, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Hi John,

What is the service account? Does the login 'MNS\VIPERDB00$’ exist in the SQL Server instance? Please have a look at this similar thread addressing this issue: Database Mirroring setup issue

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, November 04, 2011 11:47 AM
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 1:15 AM
  • Hi

It Seems that there is problem with user name. I would like to what you have defined in your service account section of mirroring configuration.

See Following Screen shot and highlighted area . You Must define your service account of principle and mirror instance and( Witness if applicable).

Apart From This  : "MNS\VIPERDB00$" Is it user  ? or its domain\machineName ?? (as per you last line in your reply ).

If it is a user can you please check if this user has permission on SQL Server Instance.

Thanks
    Kuldeep Bisht
    Tuesday, November 01, 2011 6:03 AM
  • This helped, thanks.  Mirroring is now working.
    Friday, November 04, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Hi JBruyn,

Thanks for your update!

Could you please mark the reply which fixes the problem? This can help others who have the same issue to work around the problem.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Monday, November 07, 2011 10:53 AM