none
SQL 2012 rswebparts.cab file fails to extract during SharePoint 2007/2010 loads with stsadmin or powershell

Question

• There seems to be an issue with the RSWebParts.cab file in the SQL Server 2012 installation. There are multiple resource files with the same name and path in the cab file (manifest suggests there should have been separate paths). Bottom line is I cannot install the RSWebParts for SQL 2012 into SharePoint.

We HAVE successfully run the install process using a SQL 2008 R version of RSWebParts.cab on both SharePoint 2007 and SharePoint 2010 servers, but no matter what we try (including RSWebParts.cab files from different SQL 2012 installs), we've not had success loading the 2012 web parts. 

Can someone at Microsoft look at the RSWebParts.cab file and confirm it's really correct? There are many postings about people having the "failed to extract" issue and their "answer" always seems to be "I got it to work using SQL 2008 R2 version of file". It's not close to the same file size and web part versions / dates are different. We already have loaded the 2008 R2 version, we're trying to move to the SQL 2012 files.

We are running NATIVE SSRS - Integrated is not an option. The Add In for SharePoint is also therefore not an option. What we want to install are the newest release of the report explorer and report viewer controls we've used in previous releases from the RSWebParts.cab file.

Thank you.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi LouALOH,

I have tested the issue in my SQL Server 2012 and SharePoint 2010 environment, however, the RSWebParts.cab file installs successfully. Please see the screenshot below:

Please make sure you are running the command lines in the SharePoint 2010 Management Shell not the Windows Command Prompt. Here, I have uploaded my RSWebParts.cab file to SkyDrive (https://skydrive.live.com/#!/?cid=9DA14EB9849DD568&id=9DA14EB9849DD568%21135!cid=9DA14EB9849DD568&id=9DA14EB9849DD568%21129), you can download and install it in your environment to see if it works.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 29, 2013 3:27 AM
  • Mike,

What you provided on your Skydrive is a cab file with files from 2005 SQL version 8. This is not helpful at all.

My posting stated I already successfully installed 2008 R2 versions of these files. My issue is the SQL 2012 version will not install.

What you provided is even older than what we already have working.

What we need resolved is SQL 2012 version as per the instructions found:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159772.aspx

and the cab file that is located in a SQL 2012 SSRS server at the following location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Reporting Services\SharePoint

Tuesday, May 07, 2013 10:13 AM
  • Hi LouALOH,

Thanks for your posting.

Actually, the RSWebParts.cab file I have uploaded to the SkyDrive is installed by SQL Server 2012 indeed. The screenshot I posted above (not a picture referenced from the Internet) shows what I have done in my test environment (SQL Server 2012+SharePoint 2010), which indicates the RSWebParts.cab installed by SQL Server 2012 can work well with SQL Server 2012 and SharePoint 2010.

I have also compared the Manifest.xml files extracted by SQL Server 2008 R2 version RSWebParts.cab and SQL Server 2012 version RSWebParts.cab, and they all show the 8.0.242.0 version of SharePoint Web Parts. Maybe there are fewer additions to the Web Part functionality after the SQL Server 2005 version. Here, you can go ahead with the  RSWebParts.cab file I have uploaded and check the result.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 1:29 AM
  • Here is a screen shot of the contents of the cab file that SQL 2012 installed on our server and the properties of the dll.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Here is the cab file from your sky drive link and the properties of the dll - you see that the cab file I have is version 11 and the one from the sky drive is version 8. Your cab file - CORRECTLY - shows language folders, the SQL 2012 cab file that was installed on our server does NOT have the language folders and this is what I believe is the issue with the SQL 2012 cab file. But all the files and folders in the cab file from the sky drive are modified in 2005. The SQL 2012 cab file has more recent dates.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:05 AM
  • Mike,

Pardon my frustration - I have just identified our communication problem....

The cab file I am working with was apparently installed by SQL 2012 SP 1 ....

I built a new SQL 2012 install this evening and went to the folder where the cab file gets installed.

The cab file and files within the cab file were the same as your sky drive - so you are correct, but my issue remains.

Service Pack 1 for SQL 2012 installs a NEWER cab file with updated dlls - however THAT cab file won't install.

Your sky drive cab file, and my SQL 2012 WITHOUT SP 1 cab file are the same.

Hopefully that gets us looking at the same file now :-) - I didn't realize that SQL 2012 RTM still used the older version until SP 1.

Wednesday, May 08, 2013 3:56 AM
  • Hi all,

I have the same problem and I am sure that the cause are the missing dll folders in the CAB file.

Sadly there is no solution and I have not been able to find  a solution elsewhere  - is there a chance to solve that problem?

Many thanks in advance,

Ben

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Hi, I have posted a Connect item for this and a workaround at

https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/808292/sql-2012-sp1-reporting-services-web-parts-cab-file-is-broken#

Basically you have build your own cabinet file with the correct folder structure to get it to install.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:27 PM