none
How to pop-up a data-bound image full-scale in RB 3.0

Question

• I've built a Report Builder 3.0 report and it contains data-bound images in one of the report columns (I followed the steps outlined in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239367(v=sql.105).aspx and it worked great).

The data-bound images embedded in the report are basically sized as thumbnails.  This is great, but I also need users to be able to see a full-size rendering of the image (either by hovering over it or by clicking on it).  If these were EXTERNAL images, I would simply create an action that contained a link to the image file.  How do I accomplish this for data-bound images?

Thanks.

-tom

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 1:19 PM

Answers

• One way is to create a another report which accepts a parameter for the databound image and just displays the image in full scale.

From the main report you jump to the other report and pass the id for the image and let it retrieve and render the image full scale.

- Girija

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:48 PM

All replies

• One way is to create a another report which accepts a parameter for the databound image and just displays the image in full scale.

From the main report you jump to the other report and pass the id for the image and let it retrieve and render the image full scale.

- Girija

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 9:48 PM
  • This DEFINITELY sounds like the way to go, but I'm having a little trouble implementing it.  I found this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd239332(v=sql.105).aspx which I believe describes what you are talking about.  I created a "subreport" that is meant to simply show a single image.  I then created an action on the image column in the main report that opens up my subreport and passes a parameter to uniquely identify which row I need the image for.  The part I still haven't figured out however is how to "grab" the parameter value in the sub-report so that I can filter my dataset to only show the one record.

Can you point me to the answer?  Thanks!!

-tom

Tom Tobin

Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Just to clarify:  I'm trying to implement this using the "Drilldown" method described in the article.  The second report I created for the purpose of displaying a single image is not a "subreport" as described in the article (which would have been made by performing an "Insert Subreport" action on the main report).  It is rather a separate stand-alone report.

Just trying to avoid confusion! :-)

Tom Tobin

Thursday, May 16, 2013 3:36 PM
  • I'm almost there!

I kept digging and found this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd207031(v=sql.105).aspx which stepped me through the setup for a drill-through report.  In summary, the parameter name in the popup report must exactly match the parameter name used in the action defined on the first report, AND the parameter in the popup report cannot be Internal (or else you get an error "Parameter is read-only").

Only one thing remains.  The second report showing the image is NOT opening up as a popup box on top of the first report.  Rather, it is opening up in the same window as the main report and overwriting it.  This is VERY ugly!!! :-(

Any help for how to get a true popup box without overwriting the main report each time?

Thanks.

-tom

Tom Tobin

Thursday, May 16, 2013 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to open the new report in another window you can use "javascript:void(window.open...." and give the full url of the report in that.

See this link , it tells you how to open a report in another windows and also pass parameters.

- Girija 

Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:54 PM
  • AWESOME!!

Thanks Girija for your help.

-tom

Tom Tobin

Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:03 PM