none
How to apply validation to File System Task control in SSIS package?

Question

• I have a created SSIS package in that i have a File System Task control. I want to apply validation, if any error occured it will validate.

How i apply any type of validation to File System Task control in SSIS.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:56 AM

Answers

• SSIS validates the packages itself: it will check all the connection strings, unless you specify DelayValidation.
    If you want some other type of validation, you'll need to be a bit more specific in your question.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - Please mark posts as answered where appropriate.

• Marked as answer by Maggy111 Monday, December 24, 2012 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:41 AM
  • I have a created SSIS package in that i have a File System Task control. I want to apply validation, if any error occured it will validate.

As the File System Task tracks success or failures for you out of the box, the next logical step is to react to them, based on what I read the most logical next step is to use Event Handlers.

This is because you can set it so it would only pick the errors from this component and handle them for you allowing great flexibility in terms how you program the response, for example my developers tend to use Script Tasks alot where they do a lot of custom processing, e.g. if a file was not moved or copied they open a trouble ticket automatically in it using APIs (of the issue tracking software).

Please see this blog post on how you can use the Event Handlers to drive custom logging.

Arthur My Blog

• Marked as answer by Maggy111 Monday, December 24, 2012 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:38 PM
    • Edited by Raunak J Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:44 AM
  • Yes. I want to  raised an  event when File System Task faced error at that time i want to send an email with one error text file.

Is it possible and how?

yes, the Event Handler can have the canned Send Mail task that would send the e-mail with the needed details. Trapping the error will take some time to accustom to, but I trust with the wealth of links provided, especially those by Maggy111 will put you on the right track and make the task done.

Arthur My Blog

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Thanks.

Could you please tell me for DelayValidation little more!!!

DelayValidation tells SSIS to wait with the validation until the component - for example an Excel source - is validated - in our example: if the Excel file exists or not - is actually used.

More info:

Delay Validation with SSIS Tasks

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Thanks.

On runtime the package will normally validate twice. Always right before executing a task and if DelayValidation is set to false it will also be validated up front. This will catch problems before the package runs for a long time. If your package runs for example 10 hours it would be very disappointing to have a validation error at the end.

Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question | My SSIS Blog: http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com | Twitter

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:29 AM

All replies

• What kind of validation would you like to create? File exists?

Please mark the post as answered if it answers your question | My SSIS Blog: http://microsoft-ssis.blogspot.com | Twitter

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:25 AM
  • SSIS validates the packages itself: it will check all the connection strings, unless you specify DelayValidation.
    If you want some other type of validation, you'll need to be a bit more specific in your question.

• Marked as answer by Maggy111 Monday, December 24, 2012 11:25 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:41 AM
  • Do you want to raise an event on during the life cycle of the package? Can you elaborate more?

Please vote as helpful or mark as answer, if it helps
    Cheers, Raunak | t: @raunakjhawar | My Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:04 PM

As the File System Task tracks success or failures for you out of the box, the next logical step is to react to them, based on what I read the most logical next step is to use Event Handlers.

This is because you can set it so it would only pick the errors from this component and handle them for you allowing great flexibility in terms how you program the response, for example my developers tend to use Script Tasks alot where they do a lot of custom processing, e.g. if a file was not moved or copied they open a trouble ticket automatically in it using APIs (of the issue tracking software).

Please see this blog post on how you can use the Event Handlers to drive custom logging.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Yes. I want to  raised an  event when File System Task faced error at that time i want to send an email with one error text file.

Is it possible and how?

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:22 AM
    • Edited by Raunak J Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:47 AM
    Wednesday, December 12, 2012 4:44 AM

Is it possible and how?

yes, the Event Handler can have the canned Send Mail task that would send the e-mail with the needed details. Trapping the error will take some time to accustom to, but I trust with the wealth of links provided, especially those by Maggy111 will put you on the right track and make the task done.

Arthur My Blog

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Thanks.

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:10 AM
  • Thanks.

DelayValidation tells SSIS to wait with the validation until the component - for example an Excel source - is validated - in our example: if the Excel file exists or not - is actually used.

More info:

Delay Validation with SSIS Tasks

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:12 AM
  • Thanks.

On runtime the package will normally validate twice. Always right before executing a task and if DelayValidation is set to false it will also be validated up front. This will catch problems before the package runs for a long time. If your package runs for example 10 hours it would be very disappointing to have a validation error at the end.

Friday, December 14, 2012 7:29 AM