none
Saving the Project/solution in different name usinf "Save As" - Please help.

Question

• Hi,
       I have created a package called "Sales".I saved it.Now it has files
    Sales.database
    Sales.drproj.user
    Sales.sln
    Sales.suo
    Sales.dtproj
    Sales.dtsx

Now, I want to create the same pakcage for "Marketing"(because everything is variable driven.I can change the variable and run).So, what I did is, I opened the "Sales" package,
    File --> SaveAs --> I gave "Marketing".
    But If I go to the location where it got save,I could see again

Sales.database
    Sales.drproj.user
    Sales.sln
    Sales.suo
    Sales.dtproj

and

Marketing.dtproj
    Marketing.dtsx
    Marketing.drproj.user.

I could see name of the package/.SLN/.database/.dtproj.user are still saved with the old names.
    So what is the best way to save everything with a new name?

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:01 AM

Answers

• Open BIDS à New Project à Give the name àSolution Explorer àDelete the default package àRight Click the “SSIS Packages” à Add Existing packages à Add the BI-ManagedMarkets package from the location where is saved. à change the Name of the package, Variables and Save it. à Execute the package àNow it will run the package with the newly changed variables and the “Scope” of the  Variable window also gets changed as per the new package name
    • Marked as answer by Revathy Menon Monday, March 29, 2010 7:55 PM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:54 PM

All replies

• It seems you saved the whole project with a different name instead of only one package.

To add the same package to your solution but with a different name, simply open the folder that contains your packages. Copy the "Sales" package and paste it somewhere ( say desktop or C:\TempPackages etc). Now, right click on your SSIS solution in BIDS and choose "Add Existing Package". Browse to the above location (where you made a copy of the Sales package) and double click it to add the package. The package will get added with a name like "Sales(1).dtsx". You can then rename this package to "Marketing.dtsx" in the BIDS itself.

Note: Don't forget to generate a new UID for "Marketing.dtsx" package after renaming it. To do so, open the Properties window of the package and in the "ID" property, choose "Generate New ID" from the dropdown.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Muqadder.

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Thanks..Actually I want to have the separate project,separate solution and separate package for "Marketing" . I dont want to add the same package to your solution. "Sales" and "Marketing" are totally different ones and  I want to have different projects/slutions as such..

What can I do in this situation?

Monday, March 29, 2010 9:45 AM
  • The same Copy, Paste, Add Existing Package steps will do for a new project as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Muqadder.

Monday, March 29, 2010 10:40 AM
  • As u said,

I copied the Sales Package and paste into E:\Temp.

Changed the name of the package to "Marketing".

Opened the BIDS --> New --> Project --> IS

Deleted the default one. --> Add Existing Package -> added the "Marketing" --> Saved the package.

But Now I can see only "Marketing" package in E:\Temp.

How can I get

Marketing.database
    Marketing.sln
    Marketing.suo
    Marketing.dtproj
    Marketing.drproj.user.

and all the files?

Monday, March 29, 2010 11:09 AM
  • Can  someone throw some light on this please?
    Monday, March 29, 2010 4:48 PM
  • Open BIDS à New Project à Give the name àSolution Explorer àDelete the default package àRight Click the “SSIS Packages” à Add Existing packages à Add the BI-ManagedMarkets package from the location where is saved. à change the Name of the package, Variables and Save it. à Execute the package àNow it will run the package with the newly changed variables and the “Scope” of the  Variable window also gets changed as per the new package name
    • Marked as answer by Revathy Menon Monday, March 29, 2010 7:55 PM
    Monday, March 29, 2010 7:54 PM