none
sql server crash when low on disk space

Question

• Does sql server crash when disk space has run out? If so why? Is it related to master, msdb, tempdb file location?

Thanks

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 12:12 AM

Answers

• It depends which partition we are talking about: if OS partition,  yes, server will "crash". If data or log file partition, SQL Server will not crash but the DB will be in suspect state. It is a best practice to monitor the free disk space along with some other options for databases. 

If disk space may full for master or any other system databases that is basically a design failure. You never ever put system databases to the same partition where user databases are stored in production environment. Monitoring disk usage for system dbs are also worth to do.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    My Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:13 AM

All replies

• As per my experience, I m runout many times with low disk space and never the seen any such cases like SQL Server has been crashed becuase of disk space.

If you are talking about SQL Server Crash measn, then it will write the reason in Logs, can u take a look and post it here...

Thanks,

Thanks, Satish Kumar. Please mark as this post as answered if my anser helps you to resolves your issue :)

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Possibly not, i have not seen SQL server crash due to disk space problem. SQL server may go in suspect mode due to unavailability of disk space.

You can check error log message for details.  

Read my blog (Blog)
    Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:57 AM
  • It depends which partition we are talking about: if OS partition,  yes, server will "crash". If data or log file partition, SQL Server will not crash but the DB will be in suspect state. It is a best practice to monitor the free disk space along with some other options for databases. 

If disk space may full for master or any other system databases that is basically a design failure. You never ever put system databases to the same partition where user databases are stored in production environment. Monitoring disk usage for system dbs are also worth to do.

Janos

There are 10 type of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    My Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:13 AM