none
step by Step Install Guide for SQL Server 2008 R2 - Active Active Node

Question

• Hi,

I am planning to install ACtive - Active node  on physical servers. I have successfully installed the SQL Server cluster on primary server. I do not know what I need to do on Secondary server. The options I see is add a node but that will give me active - passive configuration, I do not want that.

Please let me know what steps I need to perform on secondary server so that I can install/configure the active active node.

I am using SQL Server 2008 R2.

Thanks,

Raj

Friday, February 25, 2011 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Raj,

I think you may made a misconception here. The Active/Active means you install multiple SQL Server failover cluster instances, and let each node run one SQL Server cluster instance. For more information, you can refer to sql server 2008 multinode cluster (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlgetstarted/thread/aa7b6853-2c0d-4790-aeae-003f72020e44).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Raj j Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The configuration you are talking about is possible when you have more than one SQL Server Cluster instance installed on your cluster nodes.  From a SQL Server application perpective, any node could be "active" or "passive" in terms of running SQL Server, but only one or the other for a specific SQL Server cluster instance at any given time. 

You might want to take a look at this white paper by SQL CAT  (it is for SQL Server 2008, but the deployment scenarios are relevant to SQL Server 2008 R2).  Specifically, the "Common SQL Server Deployments" section on Page 14 addresses this subject about the various configurations.

Hope this helps,

Karthika

Karthika [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hi Raj,

I think you may made a misconception here. The Active/Active means you install multiple SQL Server failover cluster instances, and let each node run one SQL Server cluster instance. For more information, you can refer to sql server 2008 multinode cluster (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlgetstarted/thread/aa7b6853-2c0d-4790-aeae-003f72020e44).

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Chunsong Feng

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Raj j Thursday, March 03, 2011 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, March 01, 2011 9:25 AM