none
Why The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'Facts', database

Question

• What this error means?

I have configured Data Source to use a specific Windows user name and password. The SQL database have the windows user account with db_owner rights.

Error 11 OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'Facts', database 'Customer_2011_CBA', schema 'dbo'.; 42000.
    Error 12 Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while processing the 'Facts' partition of the 'Facts' measure group for the 'Customer 2011 CBA Cube' cube from the Customer Analysis Services 1 database.

Kenny_I
    Monday, March 07, 2011 11:09 AM

Answers

• Error 11 OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'Facts', database 'Customer_2011_CBA', schema 'dbo'.; 42000.

Hi Kenny,

Also, you need to check whether the account has select permission in the dbo schema. To do it, go to the database->Security->The user->Properties, in the Properties box, switch to Securables page and click Search button, add dbo Schema object and check Select or other proper permissions are granted to the schema.

thanks,
    Jerry

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:43 AM

All replies

• OLEDB/ODBC DSN normally use SQL authentication(if put username/passowrd), I think you got it wrong. You can test connection on your DSN configuration page. If you want to use windows authentication, you have to use windows integrated authentication without putting any username password.

If you think my suggestion is useful, please rate it as helpful.
    If it has helped you to resolve the problem, please Mark it as Answer.

Sevengiants.com
    • Proposed as answer by Rajendra Sapre Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Rajendra Sapre Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:22 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Rajendra Sapre Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:23 PM
    Monday, March 07, 2011 11:30 AM
  • Thanks. I have been using windows accout, but I could use sql user as well.

Datasource Designer->General->Edit->user Windows Authentication->Test Connection->Test Connection Succesful

Datasource Designer->Impersonation Information->Which one I should choose?

Kenny_I
    Monday, March 07, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Go to the Impersonation information for Datasource and select use a specific windows user name and pwd and enter the logon user id and pwd. SSAS works with windows authentication.

In the SQL, give Read permission to this user to the required tables 

vinu
    Monday, March 07, 2011 1:26 PM
  • can you verify whether your account has proper permission on the object? if you know your SQL authentication, try use SQL to find out whether it works or not? if it works, just compare the permission difference between SQL auth and your windows account.

Sevengiants.com
    Monday, March 07, 2011 1:32 PM
  • I'm beginning point:

Error 11 OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'Facts', database 'Customer_2011_CBA', schema 'dbo'.; 42000.
    Error 12 Errors in the OLAP storage engine: An error occurred while processing the 'Facts' partition of the 'Facts' measure group for the 'Customer 2011 CBA Cube' cube from the Customer Analysis Services 1 database.

The Windows account do have right in the SQL Server->Object Explorer->Databases->'Customer_2011_CBA'->Security->The user->Properties->All server roles

Kenny_I
    Monday, March 07, 2011 1:41 PM
  • I'm beginning point:

The Windows account do have right in the SQL Server->Object Explorer->Databases->'Customer_2011_CBA'->Security->The user->Properties->All server roles

Kenny_I
    can you try your SQL account?

Sevengiants.com
    Monday, March 07, 2011 1:44 PM
  • Error 11 OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'Facts', database 'Customer_2011_CBA', schema 'dbo'.; 42000.

Hi Kenny,

Also, you need to check whether the account has select permission in the dbo schema. To do it, go to the database->Security->The user->Properties, in the Properties box, switch to Securables page and click Search button, add dbo Schema object and check Select or other proper permissions are granted to the schema.

thanks,
    Jerry

Thursday, March 10, 2011 7:43 AM