none
Installing SQL Server 2012 Developer with Visual Studio 2010

Question

• Hi,

After having no choice but to reformat my hard disk and re-install from scratch my Vista 32 bits O/S and everything else, I'm now ready to go on with part of my development environment i.e. SQL Server 2012 Developer + Visual Studio 2010 Professional.

Even if I read quite a lot on the subject, I'm still not sure about which one I should install first.  Maybe someone could help?

Now, for the requirements part.  The only thing mentionned on the box is the O/S mentionning among others VISTA SP2 which I actually have.  On some threads, I could also read issues regarding .NET Framework 4.0.  Actually on my machine, I have the following:

• Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile.

Do I need to install anything else before proceeding?

Now one maybe final but important question.

At this right moment, the latest versions available for SQL Server 2012 are:

• SQL Server 2012 RTM CU8
    • SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU4   (btw, I read a couple of issues regarding SS2012 SP1 CU4.)

My question will be very simple. What is the safer/"bugless" option I actually have with SQL Server 2012?  Which version do you recommend I install? 

• RTM
    • RTM + CU8
    • RTM + SP1
    • RTM + SP1 + KB2793634
    • RTM + SP1 + CU4

Hope to hear from someone,

Stéphane

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 1:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

Please install SQL Server 2012 first, and then install VS 2010. You may need to know about the following issue:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/739885/installing-vs2010-after-sql2012-results-in-missing-visual-studio-2010-shortcut

SP1, SP1 CU1, SP1 CU3, SP1 CU4 have presented some issues. Base on my personal experience and the time I spend on this forum, I would suggest you to install SQL Server 2012 RTM and CU1.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 2:25 PM
  • HI Alberto,

Thank you very much for your reply.  I will definitely follow your advice and go on with SQL Server 2012 RTM + CU1.  Any news on an eventual SP2?

Considering that I'm targetting C# & SQL Server 2012, which .NET Framework should I finally install?  .NET Framework 4.0 is required but I saw on the net that we are actually at the 4.5 level.

As a recall, I actually have the following installed on my machine:

• .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
      • .NET Framework 4 Extended
      • .NET Framework 4 Client Profile

I honestly have this strange feeling that the last 2 might probably be doing the same job.  If so, I would then definitely uninstall the Client Profile.  But I'm not sure. What is your opinion on this?

Now, if I decided to go on with the .NET 4.5, am I right assuming that:

• the setup will uninstall all previous versions of .NET Framework
      • the 4.5 version will handle all previous versions

What would you recommend regarding those .NET Framework requirements?

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:32 PM
  • Hi again,

One additional question regarding the language of the setup file.

My actual O/S is in French but all my development environment is in English.  Why?  Translations of documentation are sometime so weird, finally making no sense at all, that I finally ended up working in English.

Now, still regarding those .NET Framework requirements.  What is the difference regarding the language we choose while downloading the .NET Framework setup file?

Thanks again for helping,

Stéphane

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:46 PM
  • Hello,

Microsoft is now involving MVPs and other volunteers to verify and correct the documentation of their products. They did that with Windows 8 and Office 2013, and more Microsoft Product teams are looking forward to do the same.

I only know that SQL Server setup should match the language of the operating system. I don’t know much about .NET Framework.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Hi again,

Can you tell me more about the .NET Framework 4.5?  What would you suggest?  Should I consider upgrading?

As a recall, I actually have the following actually installed on my machine:

• .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

If I finally install .NET Framework 4.5, any of these I should also uninstall first?

Thanks for helping,

Stéphane

Thursday, July 11, 2013 6:02 PM
  • Hello,

No need to upgrade .NET framework Stephane. SQL Server 2012 requires .Net Framework 4, but you don’t have to take it in consideration, because SQL Server setup program installs it if not already installed. Don’t install any .NET Framework.4.5.

.NET Framework 4.5 seems very compatible with previous versions of .NET Framework, and you should be able to target the .NET Framework of your choice from VS 2012 with no problem. This is in case you decide to install it.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Hi again,

I'm actually using VS2010 not VS2012. So, I presume all your explanations will fit as well.  Right?

BTW, your comment about the choice of .NET framework we can make within Visual Studio is right.  I've already experimented it while developing C#/C++ applications. 

Now, regarding those two programs actually listed in my "installed" programs:

Are they doing the same thing?  I presume not.  Can you tell me what is the difference between the two?  At first sight, I honestly have this strange impression that the first one might already include all the functionalities of the second one, but I'm really not sure.  Can you comment?

Now if they are different, the day I choose to upgrade to .NET Framework 4.5, which one(s) must be uninstalled first, which one(s) should stay? 

Finally, if I'm developing with Visual Studio, will that ".NET Framework 4 Extended" be enough or should I consider installing a more "complete" version?

Thanks again for helping.  I really appreciate.

Stéphane

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Hello,

SP1 for VS 2010 is required to install SQL Server 2012.

You can target the .NET framework of your choice from VS as explained on th following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb398202.aspx

"A .NET Framework profile is a subset of the .NET Framework that provides a limited set of libraries and features.". Source: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/bb398195.aspx

About which .NET Framework to install first, I cannot give you a recommendation since I am not a .NET Framework expert.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Hi again,

From the link you provided, I could reach a webpage from where I could read the following:

When you install the .NET Framework 4.5, the .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is updated to the full version of the .NET Framework.

So I think this install should solve my problem regarding those two programs actually installed:

So to conclude this thread, I will follow this install sequence:

• Backup everything I actually have on my disk ;-)
    • Install .NET Framework 4.5
    • Install SQL Server 2012 Developer + CU1
    • Install Visual Studio 2010 + solve the shortcut problem vs start menu  + upgrade to SP1 or earlier

If nothing else needs to be added, I would like to thank you Alberto for your help. 

Regards,

Stéphane

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 2:57 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you for visiting MSDN forums!

Have a great day!

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Hi Alberto,

Just to be sure.  Can you confirm that the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2679368/en-us

is the right one for SQL Server 2012 RTM CU1?

Thanks,

Stéphane

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:34 PM