none
Is the following types will be deprecated from the SQL server?

Question

• Hi friend,

I was told not to use:
    text, ntext
    money

as they will be deprecated from the future version of teh SQL server..is this true? If thsi is true they what should i use instead of them?

What other types will be deprecated from the SQL server and what are their recomended replacements?

thanks
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 6:53 AM

Answers

• ntext
    , text, and image data types will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using these data types in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use them. Use nvarchar(max), varchar(max), and varbinary(max) instead.

Money is deprecating?? I dont know that its not deprecating...

Check the BOL for these kind of questions rather than posting here and waiting....   Infact i copied above text from BOL...

• Marked as answer by code_warrior Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:33 AM
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:00 AM
  • From this thread you may also find this blog Throw Your Money Away interesting.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

Naomi Nosonovsky, Sr. Programmer-Analyst

My blog
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:02 AM
  • You're not missing anything. You may keep doing it, especially after reading that blog.
    Premature optimization is the root of all evil in programming. (c) by Donald Knuth

My blog
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:14 AM

All replies

• I only know this about text and ntext and image. The recommended types would be varchar(max), nvarchar(max) for text/ntext and varbinary(max) for image.

My blog
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 6:56 AM
  • Regarding Money type you may find this discussion and a link useful http://forum.lessthandot.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8637&p=43202&hilit=money+type#p43202

My blog
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 6:59 AM

• ntext
    , text, and image data types will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Avoid using these data types in new development work, and plan to modify applications that currently use them. Use nvarchar(max), varchar(max), and varbinary(max) instead.

Money is deprecating?? I dont know that its not deprecating...

Check the BOL for these kind of questions rather than posting here and waiting....   Infact i copied above text from BOL...

Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:00 AM
  • From this thread you may also find this blog Throw Your Money Away interesting.

My blog
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:02 AM

My blog

Hi friend,

I never used Money as a type isntead i use decimal(18, 2)... but i dont know wht am i missing?

thanks
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:11 AM
  • You're not missing anything. You may keep doing it, especially after reading that blog.

My blog
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 7:14 AM