none
Deploying RDL files to Management Studio from command prompt

Question

• Hi

How can i deploy an RDL file to SQL Server Management Studio from command prompt. I have deployed that file using the GUI from the management studio but for automating the process, i want to deploy that RDL file from the command prompt.

Kindly let me know whether we can do this from command prompt and how?

Thanks and regards
    Salil
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:22 PM

All replies

• Proposed as answer by AntonioCH Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:25 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 1:25 PM
  • Hi Antonio

Thanks for the above information. But I think this will come handy when one wants to deploy the reports to the reporting server. But in my case, i want to deploy the reports in the "Custom Reports" section of the "SQL Server Management Studio" from command prompt. Can i do that?

Thanks in advance
    Salil

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:36 AM
  • No, I think you can post your question in the Management studio forums for that purpose.
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Hi Salil,

For SQL Server Reporting Services, the SQL Server Managerment Studio is only a GUI tool that used to manage the Report Server too.

All reports are deployed to the Report Server.

AntonioCH's solution should work. After deploying the reports to the Report Server, you will find the reports in the SQL Server Managerment Studio.

Any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 4:10 AM
  • Hi Jin Chen,

But the in built reports that are there in the SQL Server Management Studio are still visible if Reporting Server is not available. Therefore, i think we can still deploy the reports using Management Studio even if Reporting Services are off. Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks
    Salil
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:59 AM
  • Hi Salil,

Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

It seems the SQL Server Managerment Studio has its own interface to access the Report Server database.

Best regards,
    Jin Chen
    Jin Chen - MSFT
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 7:53 AM