none
How Do I Find Out What My Username and Password Are For SQL Server Authentication?

Question

• Hello, I am trying to figure out what my username and password are for sql server authenticaiton when I log into sql server management studio. I am using sql server standard edition.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 6:54 AM

Answers

• If your SQL Server is configured for both, you can use either to gain access to the server.

Windows authentication is based on how you're logged into the domain. SQL Server authentication requires that a SQL Server login has been created for you (and a user in each database that you'd like to have access to).

You'll need to contact your DBA to find out if you have a SQL Server authentication login. He'll be able to tell you what it is, and its password.

HTH...

Joe

Joe Webb, SQL Server MVP | http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/joew/
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Do I understand correctly that you want to find out which account is being used when you connect to a SQL Server using SQL Management Studio ?

In order to find out please check the properties of the registered server by right-clicking on the registered server and choosing "properties". It will then show the window "edit server registration properties" - this includes authentication details and gives you the opportunity to find the SQL login being used. For security reasons it doesn't show the associated password.
    If you have forgotten your password I recommend that you contact the administrator to set it back.

Cheers,
    Ulrike - MSFT

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:59 AM
  • I am opening sql server management studio. When it asks me to login I can use either sql authentication or windows authentication. I can log in with windows authentication, but I want to know my login for sql authentication.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 5:47 PM
  • If your SQL Server is configured for both, you can use either to gain access to the server.

Windows authentication is based on how you're logged into the domain. SQL Server authentication requires that a SQL Server login has been created for you (and a user in each database that you'd like to have access to).

You'll need to contact your DBA to find out if you have a SQL Server authentication login. He'll be able to tell you what it is, and its password.

HTH...

Joe

Joe Webb, SQL Server MVP | http://weblogs.sqlteam.com/joew/
    Monday, March 16, 2009 9:08 PM