ISSUE: Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1. Check the backup application log
All was runing fine before that.
Our transaction log Native backup job suddenly started failing on SQL Server 2005 sp3 with version 9.0.4226.
2009-12-01 17:05:33.150 Backup Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1.
2009-12-01 17:05:33.150 Backup BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG xTract. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.
- Moved by Whosane002 Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:18 AM (From:MSDN, TechNet, and Expression Profile Feedback)
+++++++++ Troubleshooting +++++++++
What did not work
1. Rerun of backup job resulted in same error message.
2. Manual backup failed with below error message and that showd me further way.
Msg 4214, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
BACKUP LOG cannot be performed because there is no current database backup.
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.
1. Checked the full backup and found it be running with non native i.e through a third party tool – “BMC Backtrack”. There was no error in previous full backup.
2. Because of below message I thought that there might be a problem in updating full db backup flag I took a Full Native backup and that ran fine
“BACKUP LOG cannot be performed because there is no current database backup.”
3. After the full backup I manually ran Tran log backup, which also ran succeessfully.
4. Subsequent job transaction log backups are running ok now.
Wondering what might have went wrong and what other things that I missed to check???
I have not got any response from anyone about the root cause. However workaround would eb as suggested below.
Take FULL native BACKUP of the database using SQL server Management Studio or Query Analyzer. Subsequent Transaction log backup will succeed.
- Edited by ajaymalloc Thursday, August 16, 2012 12:42 PM Added tool name for more clarification.
Did you able to solve this issue ? I got same error message when my backup job got failed.
I have already full backup of all database and diff backup job got failed. when i checked error log saying
"Error: 3041, Severity: 16, State: 1. Check the backup application log" <-- from SQL error log
where i can find the backup application log for detail message?
Ankit Shah SQL Server DBA
- Edited by Logicinisde Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:31 PM
Ankit: I think the error message SQL points to is either an error related to the backup of the SQL server through SQL, or through some 3rd party software.
We started getting this same error, but the cause seemed to be Backup Exec 2012 failing to back up the SQL databases.
We had migrated from BE2010 til BE2012 and had some issues with a couple of backupjobs.
When you solve the error with the backupjob, run a full backup of the databases, the transacation log backup will also succeed. :)
sysadmin in MS enterprise environment
Are you taking the full backup using third party tool? I had that issue with the third party backup tool. And the resolution was :I took a Full SQL Server backup using Management Studio. On completion of that my transaction log backup using third party started succeeding.
Warm Regards, Ajay
Anyone out there still having some "similar" issues/errors with backup jobs? I have the same problem But using SSSM Maintenance Plan on just one database. The maintenance plan is set for all databases yet it always complains about database every 3 weeks.
I wonder if anyonme has more recent info on this?
We just had this issue. We use a 3rd party backup solution called Unitrends. It had error messages pointing to VSS Writer. I set up a maintenance job in SQL and took full SQL backups. Then I restarted VSS writer. Backed up the model database in Unitrends and it worked, so I took full backups of the rest of the databases and one SQL transaction log just to be sure. Unitrends has been fine since then.