none
SQL Server Express 2005 fails to install

Question

• I am trying to install MS SQL Server Express but the installation always fails. I have copied the summary log below and can provide more details if you require.

Hardware:P4 1.7G CPU,30G HDD space,1G memory

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.2047.00
    ==============================
    OS Version      : Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
    Time            : Fri Jul 21 15:08:24 2006

Machine         : YANGNAN
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 安装程序支持文件(英语)
    Product Version : 9.00.2047.00
    Install         : Successful
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0002_YANGNAN_SQLSupport_1.log
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0002_YANGNAN_SQLNCLI_1.log
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server VSS 编写器
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0002_YANGNAN_SqlWriter_1.log
    Product         : MSXML 6.0 分析程序
    Product Version : 6.00.3883.15
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0002_YANGNAN_MSXML6_1.log
    Product         : SQL Server Database Services
    Error           : The computer running SQL Server Setup does not meet minimum system requirements for this SQL Server release.Microsoft SQL Server is not supported on this operating system. For details, see Hardware and Software Requirements in the readme or in SQL Server Books Online.
    Product         : Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    Product Version : 9.00.1399.06
    Install         : Failed
    Log File        : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Files\SQLSetup0002_YANGNAN_SQL.log
    Last Action     : DetectSKUOS
    Error String    : The computer running SQL Server Setup does not meet minimum system requirements for this SQL Server release.Microsoft SQL Server is not supported on this operating system. For details, see Hardware and Software Requirements in the readme or in SQL Server Books Online.
    Error Number    : 28018

Friday, July 21, 2006 8:14 AM

All replies

• The summary log shows that you have some SQL components at SP1 level (9.00.2047.00 ) and some components at RTM level (9.00.1399.06).  Did you have an eval version of SQL Server on there?  The easiest way to see what SQL components are on the box is to go to Add/Remove Programs, click remove for the SQL Server 2005 entry, and click on report.  Paste these contents into a message and I'll be able to help figure out what's going on.

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

Friday, July 21, 2006 4:21 PM
  • There is not any eval version SQL Server on my computer....

I remove all components about sql server,, download SQLEXPR.EXE from microsoft.com and try it, but failed again,,, all the version number in summary log is "9.00.1399.06" this time..

any other advice??

Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:31 AM
  • Can you go to Add/Remove Programs, click remove for the SQL Server 2005 entry, and click on report.  Paste these contents into a message and I'll be able to help figure out what's going on.  I'm curious as to why the initial summary log showed both SP1 and RTM versions on the box.  Also, is the SQLEXPR.exe that you downloaded at the RTM or SP1 level? 

Thanks,
    Sam Lester (MSFT)

Sunday, July 23, 2006 4:36 PM
  • there is no "SQL Server 2005" entry on my computer because install failed...

I try to install sql 2005 express by SQLEXPR_CHS.EXE (Simplified Chinese version)before,, then summary log showed both SP1 and RTM versions on the box..

I downloaded  SQLEXPR.exe from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=220549b5-0b07-4448-8848-dcc397514b41&DisplayLang=en,,,, I think it's at RTM level,,and log shows that version number is "9.00.1399.06"..

Monday, July 24, 2006 9:46 AM