none
mdx step by step book data base sample failed to restore

Question

• when i am restoring mdx step by step getting the error as

hi when i am restoring the analysis service db i am getting following error please

give me step by   step instruction

error is

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Executing the query ...
    The following system error occurred:  Access is denied. .
    Backup and restore errors: File 'C:\Microsoft Press\MDX SBS\Setup\Analysis Services\Mdx Step-by-Step.abf' specified in Restore command is damaged or is not an AS backup file.
    Execution complete

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

when i reffered errata soltion told by them is

The first line of the error message identifies the issue. Your Analysis Services instance does not have access to the folder containing the ABF file. Grant the Analysis Services service account the appropriate permissions and the restore will work.

how could we do this.

will any expert will help me in this please

feeling trouble with this from many days.

thanks

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi v60,

Please try to copy the "MDX Step-by-Step.abf" file under the following path:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Backup\

Or, you can refer to the following steps to add the "C:\Microsoft Press\MDX SBS\Setup\Analysis Services\" path for the "AllowedBrowsingFolders" property:

1. Right-click the SSAS server in Object Explorer.

2. Select "Properties"

3. In the  Analysis Services Properties dialog, check "Show Advanced (All) Properties.

4. The AllowedBrowsingFolders property will be displayed.

5. You can add folder names to the property value, separating them with "|", not ";".

6. Click OK to save changes.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:34 AM

All replies

• The restore script points to a specific folder on your server for the location of the backup file (ABF) and the path to create a database.

Make sure they exists and your login has access.

Thomas

TheSmilingDBA Thomas LeBlanc MCITP 2008 DBA

Thursday, March 14, 2013 2:54 PM
  • how we can check this
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 3:53 PM
  • get with someone at your company that knows about windows file folders and security

Thomas

TheSmilingDBA Thomas LeBlanc MCITP 2008 DBA

Thursday, March 14, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hi v60,

Please try to copy the "MDX Step-by-Step.abf" file under the following path:
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Backup\

Or, you can refer to the following steps to add the "C:\Microsoft Press\MDX SBS\Setup\Analysis Services\" path for the "AllowedBrowsingFolders" property:

1. Right-click the SSAS server in Object Explorer.

2. Select "Properties"

3. In the  Analysis Services Properties dialog, check "Show Advanced (All) Properties.

4. The AllowedBrowsingFolders property will be displayed.

5. You can add folder names to the property value, separating them with "|", not ";".

6. Click OK to save changes.

Regards,

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:34 AM
  • Saved me a load of time, thanks much.  Didn't try the other procedure to grant access, looked too involved.

Michael Durthaler

• Edited by SACSgtMike Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:01 PM correction
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:59 PM