none
ACCESS DENIED WHEN CREATING DATABASE IN MANAGEMENT STUDIO

Question

• Hi

i am trying to create a database in management studio using a query but it is throwing the following error

"CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database 'master"

i have installed sql server express with service pack 2 first and then management studio later.

if i try login on using

machinename\username then how do i give permission to the logged on user??

if i run management studio i am able to create the database but not when i am logged in as a user.how do i give permission to the user??

pls reply ASAP.

thanks

Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:42 AM

Answers

• you need to login using an account which has administrative permissions in Management Studio.

then you can add user to 'db_creator' server role, which will enable user to create database

Vishal Gajjar
    • Marked as answer by SAADUDDIN Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:20 AM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:17 AM

All replies

• you need to login using an account which has administrative permissions in Management Studio.

then you can add user to 'db_creator' server role, which will enable user to create database

Vishal Gajjar
    • Marked as answer by SAADUDDIN Saturday, January 29, 2011 10:20 AM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

Try to login with Sys admin or Security admin privilaged user. Try to login with sa account.

Otherwise try to login in windows authentication using windows level admin privillage user if in case BUILTIN\Admininstrator account is enabled.

RM Thirunavukkarasu MCP, MCITP, ITIL V3 |Click "Propose As Answer" if solution is helpful to you|http://thiruna.blog.com. Thiru - MS SQL World
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 8:19 AM