none
Database mirroring connection error 4 'An error occurred while receiving data: '64(The specified network name is no longer available.)'.'

Question

• Between 2 sql server 2008 std sp1 servers mirroring is established using names in host files.

This morning on the mirror we received

Database mirroring connection error 4 'An error occurred while receiving data: '64(The specified network name is no longer available.)'.'

On the prinicipal we recieved

The mirroring connection to "TCP://mirror_server_name_defrined in host file :7022" has timed out for database "database name" after 10 seconds without a response. Check the service and network connections.

1 second later we receive:

Database mirroring is active with database "database name" as the principal copy.

So I have increased the timouts.  What I am trying to understand is what really happened. Since the names are set in host file my next thought is loss of network connectivity for > 10 seconds?  The mirroring is on private VLAN that goes across switch.

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:05 PM

Answers

• Enlist the help of your network engineers. I usually start by running a bunch of network-related commands like PATHPING and TRACERT to see where the potential network issue is

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Monday, February 28, 2011 11:17 PM
  • It seems your principal unable to connect to mirrorring this could resources contension or network connection problem.

Mirror will send hearbeat segnals to principal to check wether mirror is active default every second.  If their is no response from principal for 10 continuous segnals then mirror raise error saying that pricipal is not accessable also - vise versa with principal.

It might be worth start profilers and see for any resources contension or connectivity issues

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:10 PM

All replies

• It seems your principal unable to connect to mirrorring this could resources contension or network connection problem.

Mirror will send hearbeat segnals to principal to check wether mirror is active default every second.  If their is no response from principal for 10 continuous segnals then mirror raise error saying that pricipal is not accessable also - vise versa with principal.

It might be worth start profilers and see for any resources contension or connectivity issues

Monday, February 28, 2011 8:10 PM
  • Enlist the help of your network engineers. I usually start by running a bunch of network-related commands like PATHPING and TRACERT to see where the potential network issue is

Edwin Sarmiento SQL Server MVP
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn
    Monday, February 28, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Also try telnet to the port 7022 between principal, mirror and witness see can they communicate each other thru that port other wise you should ask your network team to open the ports
    Friday, March 04, 2011 10:31 AM
  • any progress update?
    Tuesday, March 08, 2011 10:27 AM