none
New Admin and new to SQL

Question

• I loaded SQL 2005 on a server and verified the installation. Here is my question, "What is my next move?" Is there some reference I can use. We will be using it with MOSS. I know what to do with MOSS. Hope someone can help. 
    Thursday, February 05, 2009 9:18 PM

Answers

• After installing login into SQL Server and see if you are able to connect. Also try connecting from remotely to ensure that there is no connectivity issues. You need to enable remote connections for that. Create the necessary databases or copy it i.e. backup/restore it from other servers. Give necessary rights to the users and keep the db secure from others.

If possible change the SQL Service account to a domain id or to a local user account and then remove builtin administrators from SQL Server so that members of windows admin group will be prevented from connecting to SQL Server. If you can frame your question to be more specific we can give some more advice.

- Deepak

Deepak | Mark the answers if it helps to solve your problem |
    • Marked as answer by fmorales2 Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:06 PM
    Friday, February 06, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Yes, you have a lot to follow up.

1. verify the function of SQL Server is good

2. verify the security of SQL Server is good

3. verify the performance of SQL Server is good

4. verify the backup/restore of SQL Server is good, this is also what DBA should consider-disaster recovery
    5. verify the compatibility and integration of SQL Server and your applications is good
    6. verify the upgrade ability of SQL Server is good

SQL books by Microsoft press are at http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/library.aspx

Hope this helps.
    Dannol

Mark as Answer if it helps. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by fmorales2 Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:52 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• After installing login into SQL Server and see if you are able to connect. Also try connecting from remotely to ensure that there is no connectivity issues. You need to enable remote connections for that. Create the necessary databases or copy it i.e. backup/restore it from other servers. Give necessary rights to the users and keep the db secure from others.

If possible change the SQL Service account to a domain id or to a local user account and then remove builtin administrators from SQL Server so that members of windows admin group will be prevented from connecting to SQL Server. If you can frame your question to be more specific we can give some more advice.

- Deepak

• Marked as answer by fmorales2 Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:06 PM
    Friday, February 06, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Yes, you have a lot to follow up.

4. verify the backup/restore of SQL Server is good, this is also what DBA should consider-disaster recovery
    5. verify the compatibility and integration of SQL Server and your applications is good

SQL books by Microsoft press are at http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/library.aspx

Hope this helps.
    Dannol

Mark as Answer if it helps. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by fmorales2 Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:07 PM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:52 AM
    Answerer
  • Deepak Rangarajan said:

After installing login into SQL Server and see if you are able to connect. Also try connecting from remotely to ensure that there is no connectivity issues. You need to enable remote connections for that. Create the necessary databases or copy it i.e. backup/restore it from other servers. Give necessary rights to the users and keep the db secure from others.

- Deepak

Thank you for the help. You may be seeing more 'posting' from me.
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:07 PM
  • Dannol Liu - MSFT said:

Yes, you have a lot to follow up.

Hope this helps.
    Dannol

Thank you for all the help :). As I wrote, "You may be seeing more posting from me."
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 5:08 PM