none
Cannot access or view Registered Servers in SSMS 2008 R2.

Question

• I am unable to open or view the Registered Servers window in SSMS 2008 R2 Standard. Pressing Ctrl+Alt+G or using the View>Registered Servers menu option result in nothing happening. I am running a relatively new installation of Windows 7 x86 SP1. The only other version of MSSQL that has been installed on this machine is 2002 R2 Express which was initially installed by VS2010 then promptly removed to make room for the Standard client installation of 2008 R2.

No errors are given when trying to open the Registered Servers window, but I did not that the current pane that is active looses focus for a moment then nothing happens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach.Skinner

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:02 PM

Answers

• I tried as Mark suggested and logged on as a different domain account and noticed I didn't have this issue.

This led me to think it was a user specific issue and deleting my user account's '\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\' folder caused SSMS to rebuild it with defaults and my registered server list is now working once again.

Thanks, Zach.Skinner
    • Marked as answer by Zach.Skinner Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:37 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:37 PM

All replies

• You probably encountered an error related to the presence of SQL Server Express tools or other components and either ignored it or fixed it by registry modifications.

In any case the remedy often is in a simple re-install of the client tools, but make sure you get no errors or warnings.

Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:37 AM
  • Hi Zach,

Can you try to uninstall Management Studio and reinstall it.

Regards Gursethi Blog: http://sqlfundas.blogspot.com/ ++++ Please mark "Propose As Answer" if my answer helped ++++
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 11:42 AM
  • If the uninstall/reinstall of the Client Tools (SSMS and so forth) does not resolve your problem, you may need to clean house a bit.  This can especially be the case if the 2008 R2 Express installed by VS2010 was not completely uninstalled.  (At times there are problems with the uninstall process.)

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/5f7e4ada-798f-4131-a89a-f0ef27dd99bf

RLF

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:14 PM
  • I uninstalled everything SQL Server related on the my machine (only 2008 R2). I then also deleted the contents of the "...Program Files/Microsoft SQL Server/" folder.

Re-installed 2008 R2 using the 'tools' installation command. Still the same results. Trying to open the registered servers list only results in a slight change in focus within SSMS.

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 6:58 PM
  • Thanks for the ideas, but the links you posted are referring to failed installations/uninstallations. Everything about my client tools for 2008 R2 is working just fine with no errors given at ANY time; only the registered servers pane is not working/opening.

As of writing this I'll double check the installation logs to see if anything out of the ordinary was mentioned. If not, I'll try re-installling after cleaning all SQL Server installation related registry keys.

Also, I asked some co-workers and another employee is having a near identical situation except he is using the 2008 client (not R2).

Thanks, Zach

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:03 PM
  • Try to also apply any missing SPs + CUs to the product. In some cases also un-installing Visual Studio is necessary. Please remove the VS, too and re-install.

I have also an idea, it might be security related, so ask a colleague who has this functionality working to log in into your machine to verify if issue gets reproduced.

Arthur My Blog
    By: TwitterButtons.com
    • Unmarked as answer by Zach.Skinner Tuesday, July 12, 2011 9:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 7:12 PM
  • I tried as Mark suggested and logged on as a different domain account and noticed I didn't have this issue.

This led me to think it was a user specific issue and deleting my user account's '\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\' folder caused SSMS to rebuild it with defaults and my registered server list is now working once again.

Thanks, Zach.Skinner
    Tuesday, July 12, 2011 8:37 PM