none
Barcode Good on Screen, not Shown when Printed

Question

• I have authored a report that has a barcode on it.  Looks great in VS, looks great in IE7 when deployed, but it prints in a human readable font.  What's odd is that if I click the print button for IE itself instead of the button in the report viewer, it prints out.  If I copy the page content and paste it into Word, it works great.  I'm on Vista, but I get the same result on Windows XP.

is there a setting on the report viewer control I'm missing?
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Corey Furman's Facebook profile
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:18 PM

Answers

• Close.  Actually, someone suggested that perhaps I needed to install the font on the print server and reboot.  I had the font installed, and even tried running and printing the report from the SSRS console, but it made no difference.  I am unable to reboot the box until the weekend, but I did the next best thing - I rebooted the SSRS service - and lo and behold, it worked!

I want to re-emphasize that this still appears to be a bug.  Printing is a client-side process, and there should be no intrinsic dependencies to what is installed on the server.  This just seems absurd;  Does printing on other IIS sites require a restart when custom fonts are installed?

Clearly there is one, because clicking the link in the viewer removed the font, but clicking IE's print button did not.  Why should printing cause data to round trip when printing?  I get it for PDF and TIF - there's no native code in IE to render to those file formats, but IE has everything it needs to print.

In any case, my issue was resolved by restarting the SSRS service.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Please mark posts as answer or helpful when they are.
    • Marked as answer by Corey Furman Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    You should install the barcodes fonts on your machine or where ever your reports are deployed in that machine
    Check the barcodes are installed in this location C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
    If you want to check in pdf then you should install in this loaction C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\Font

Rajesh Jonnalagadda http://www.ggktech.com
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 6:14 AM
    Answerer
  • This depends on font embedding:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159713.aspx

-Jens K. Suessmeyer
    Saturday, January 17, 2009 3:06 PM
  •   Perhaps I haven't been clear.  The font has been deployed.  Everywhere I run the report, it looks just fine on screen, so it isn't a problem of font availibility.  The problem is printing only.

Let me elaborate further.

1. If I click the print button inside the report viewer, I get human readable text in place of the barcode.  If I hit IE's print button, I do get the bar code.  Unfortunately, the report layout is goofed up that way, because of the frames and stuff.

2. If I copy the report and paste it into Word (click in the report, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, switch to Word, Ctrl-V), it prints as expected.

3. If I export to PDF, I get human readable text in place of the bar code.  I suspect this is due to the fact that it must be using a print driver to export to PDF.  I will be looking at embedding the font in PDF, but this isn't a solution - due to the nature of the environment of the application, I need to be able to print directly from the SSRS report.

4. I haved configured my print driver to print fonts as graphics.

5. I will shortly be hacking out a web page with just a bar code to see if this is related to the report viewer control, IE, or something else.

Thanks for your advice - I'm in a real jam here.  I have been strongly advocating an SSRS environment only, that existing Crystal Reports will be maintained but replaced as possible.  Not being able to do bar codes will be a show stopper, though.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Monday, January 19, 2009 12:49 PM
  • One thing more - I am using SQL 2008 SSRS, not 2005.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Monday, January 19, 2009 12:59 PM
  • If I create just a web page with only a bar code, everything works as anticipated, including printing.  I think I may be experiencing a bug in the report viewer.  Here as some screen scapes:

From Screen Shots

Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    • Edited by Corey Furman Monday, January 19, 2009 1:51 PM clean up pasted code.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 1:51 PM
  • Bug on Connect opened: https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=401908
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Monday, January 19, 2009 2:15 PM
  • Is anyone else using bar code fonts, but not experiencing this issue?  What fonts are you using?
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 2:11 AM
  • Hi Corey,

As you see, there is a known issue, when you render report to PDF, it does not display barcode correctly, but using report viewer to print the bar code is fine. I tested the printing in report viewer with fonts “3of9”, and everything works as anticipated, including printing. So, I would like to check the following first:

1 Did you make sure you use font “HC39M” correctly?

The exclamation (!) and asterisk (*) characters in the Code 39 barcode font are used as start and stop characters and therefore should not be part of the data in the bar code. The asterisk "*" is commonly used as the start / stop character with Code 39, however, this can cause problems because some applications, such as Microsoft Word, will treat any text surrounded with asterisks as bold text. You may try to use exclamation (!) as the start/stop.

Also, the following is a good document about Code 39 Barcode Font issue:

http://www.idautomation.com/fonts/code39/

2 You may try to use other fonts in other editions like “3of9”.

Use other free fonts to make sure if this is related to the report viewer. By the way, there are some difference between the legal edition and the pirated edition.

Hope this helps

Raymond Li

Tuesday, January 20, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Raymond-Lee said:

there is a known issue, when you render report to PDF, it does not display barcode correctly, but using report viewer to print the bar code is fine.

I'm seeing the export to PDF issue, but I am not able to print the report from SSRS in IE.  I have no problems exporting to Word or Excel, or viewing it in IE.  I can see the bar code on the screen.  The only problem I have is that I cannot print from IE.

As to your points:

1. I'm not sure how this really applies, but yes, I have tried the various combinations - none of them produced any difference.

2. I can call any font native to Windows and it will print.  Using any used-added font can be viewed on screen, but will not print.

Furthermore, viewing and printing the report in the viewer built into VS functions as anticipated.

I'm fairly convinced this issue is related to the report viewer in IE.  I can view and print any installed font in test web pages, apart from the report viewer.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Hi Corey,

From what you are describing it looks like the Barcode font is installed on the client(s), but not on the actual report server. 

For HTML (the report output you are seeing in IE), Word and Excel the fonts that are installed one the client are used. In essence, Word/ Excel and IE rendering the content on the client using the local fonts.

For Print, PDF and TIF on the other hand the fonts that are installed on the report server are used as the rendering happens at the time of the print/export request (on the server).

Andre
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 3:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Close.  Actually, someone suggested that perhaps I needed to install the font on the print server and reboot.  I had the font installed, and even tried running and printing the report from the SSRS console, but it made no difference.  I am unable to reboot the box until the weekend, but I did the next best thing - I rebooted the SSRS service - and lo and behold, it worked!

I want to re-emphasize that this still appears to be a bug.  Printing is a client-side process, and there should be no intrinsic dependencies to what is installed on the server.  This just seems absurd;  Does printing on other IIS sites require a restart when custom fonts are installed?

Clearly there is one, because clicking the link in the viewer removed the font, but clicking IE's print button did not.  Why should printing cause data to round trip when printing?  I get it for PDF and TIF - there's no native code in IE to render to those file formats, but IE has everything it needs to print.

In any case, my issue was resolved by restarting the SSRS service.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    • Marked as answer by Corey Furman Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:19 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:19 PM
  • Another supporting argument that this is a bug in the report viewer control is that the custom font prints true from the report viewer built into VS - so we have a difference in behavior between the clients.
    Thanks,
    Corey Furman
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Sorry, I should have mentioned in my reply that you need to cycle the ReportingServices service. Unfortunately that is something that applies to most services/ applications in order to pick up a newly installed font.

When you print from IE you print the HTML source that is displayed in the browser. That is quite different from a layout point of view from what you print using the print button in the report viewer control.

When you go through the print button in the report viewer the report is rendered using a physical page as its target. That includes using the page width, height and margin values as defined in the RDL for this report. In addition, the are many other RDL properties that used to control how a report is paginated horizontally and vertically.

Andre
    Wednesday, January 21, 2009 5:23 PM
    Answerer