none
Blank Error Messagebox Displayed at startup

Question

• When I start SQL Server Management Studio an error message box with no text is displayed with the Exclamation ICON.  Everything seems to be working after clicking OK though.  Anyone else experienced this.  Also...  Why is it that I can't repair the installation from Add and Uninstall????  Do I have to uninstall it to repair it????

The SQL 2005 is the Developer Addition with a new install...
    Saturday, November 12, 2005 1:54 AM

Answers

• Does repairing .NET Framework 2.0 fix this problem? 

You can do that by going to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and clicking on the Change/Remove button for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.  When the setup dialog appears, select Repair and click Next.

Thanks,
    Steve

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:55 PM

All replies

• I haven't seen the empty error message box problem.  Does it still do that when you start Management Studio, or was it a one-time thing?

You should be able to repair your installation by clicking on the "Change" button rather than "Uninstall" and then walking through the setup wizard.
    Monday, November 14, 2005 11:40 PM
  • Steven,

Actually when I select change from the Add/Remove menu the install starts, but after it checks prerequisets it tells me it's already installed and then tells me there is no maintenance mode and suggests that I do it from Add/Remove Programs ;o).

I don't know why, but beginning Friday the dialog box is gone (go figure).  I think the system must be saying, "Wait until Otis logs on and if it's the third Thursday of the month and the moon is not full, throw up that blank message box before you open the Management Studio." Big Smile
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 1:20 AM
  • You are going to Add/Remove Programs and clicking the Change button there, right?  That should get you into maintenance mode for SQL Setup.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:06 AM
  • Yes, that's where I'm going and it does say that it's going into maintenance mode, but after checking the previous install it says there is no maintenance mode for the product.

I'll check it again tomorrow and let you know exactly what I see, rather than what I recall ;-)  It's late here in Tejas.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2005 3:40 AM
  • I've just started receiving the same blank error message. The only thing I recall doing since it ran without the error message is running windows updates with the 2 most recent suggested updates for XP + the 1.1 .NET framework. I also installed an application which uses the 1.1 framework. I had all of the same components (minus the two most recent suggested updates) running on the same machine while SQL 2005 was still in beta and never ran into this problem.<br><br>

I'm working on the machine from remote right now so I am not going to bother messing with it while it appears to still be working.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:16 AM
  •  dubstar wrote:
    I've just started receiving the same blank error message. The only thing I recall doing since it ran without the error message is running windows updates with the 2 most recent suggested updates for XP + the 1.1 .NET framework. I also installed an application which uses the 1.1 framework. I had all of the same components (minus the two most recent suggested updates) running on the same machine while SQL 2005 was still in beta and never ran into this problem.<br><br>

I'm working on the machine from remote right now so I am not going to bother messing with it while it appears to still be working.

I don't know why, but my installation just stopped didplaying the blank messagebox a couple of days after the anomally presented itself (see my post above).

I would be interested in knowing if yours goes away too.
    Wednesday, November 23, 2005 2:21 AM
  • Oddly enough, it has!

I did what work I had to do and when I was finished I was going to try the suggested maintenance from Add/Remove Programs, but it no longer shows up. I did get a screenshot for a friend's 'collection' though.. so it wasn't a total loss. ;)
    Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:33 AM
  •  dubstar wrote:
    Oddly enough, it has!

I did what work I had to do and when I was finished I was going to try the suggested maintenance from Add/Remove Programs, but it no longer shows up. I did get a screenshot for a friend's 'collection' though.. so it wasn't a total loss. ;)

Ha, ha...

The Phantom strikes again Smile
    Wednesday, November 23, 2005 3:36 AM
  • I have since run into this problem again. It seems to be related to Crystal Reports. I run an application that appears to use an older version of some Crystal Reports dll than VS 2005 provides. It's a bit of an ongoing saga in that I repair VS 2005, it breaks the other app - I run the other app, it breaks VS 2005. It also appears to have an effect on the documentation browser - when it's VS 2005's turn to be broken many of the tables in the help render text improperly - it will show up half outside of the cells in any table and is mostly unreadable.

The other app is a CRM tool that I am not awfully fond of though. In all honesty, I'm kind of glad to have a reason to uninstall it. :)

...Kevin
    Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:16 AM
  • I'm getting the same blank error message box after installing the 1.1 .net framework.
    Friday, February 10, 2006 10:09 PM
  • well my error box just turned from a yeild sign !,  to a Stop sign X,  now for the problem.  if i press either yes or no it reboots to the login page
    Saturday, February 18, 2006 2:35 PM
  • I am also getting this problem. I'm not sure but it may have started after installing the .NET Framework 1.1. I don't do anything with Crystal Reports.
    Friday, March 17, 2006 5:20 PM
  • I too am getting the blank dialog, with an exclamation, although it seems to be benign and everything else is working fine. No Crystal Reports here...
    Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:13 AM
  • Does repairing .NET Framework 2.0 fix this problem? 

You can do that by going to Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs and clicking on the Change/Remove button for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.  When the setup dialog appears, select Repair and click Next.

Thanks,
    Steve

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:55 PM
  • Yes, that appears to have done the trick. Thanks.
    Sunday, April 23, 2006 6:58 PM
  • I'm getting exacly the same problem as you ezduzzit; I start up Windows XP (home) and when I click on my icon to log on, I get the blank dialog box. Like on this link http://forums.wugnet.com/Blank-error-box-startup-ftopict181779.html I used to be able to log in whether I said yes or no, but a few days later and I cannot log in with either. 'No' logs me straight off, whilst 'Yes' loads up the desktop background for a bit longer, then logs off again. I can log on with a different HD (and access the problematic hd), so its not a hardware problem (except if it is the problematic hd..). Safe mode (without networking) does work. System Restore doesn't work. Even disabling all the startup items, and all non MS services in msconfig doesn't work.
    The computer worked fine, and has done for a while; then suddenly I get this proiblem. The only thing computers are consistent in is there errors.
    Tuesday, May 02, 2006 6:55 PM
  • I'm having the exact same problem. Were you able to get a satisfactory response?  The suggestions in this post didn't work for me because...... 1. I don't have the .NET framework installed, and 2. I cannot install/change/repair anything when running in safe mode.  I Really need some help!!!
    Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:31 AM
  • Hi......Doing some research on an error and  found this post..........I'm having the exact same problem. Were you able to get a satisfactory response?  The suggestions in this post didn't work for me because...... 1. I don't have the .NET framework installed, and 2. I cannot install/change/repair anything when running in safe mode.  I Really need some help!!!

pc0019 wrote:
    I'm getting exacly the same problem as you ezduzzit; I start up Windows XP (home) and when I click on my icon to log on, I get the blank dialog box. Like on this link http://forums.wugnet.com/Blank-error-box-startup-ftopict181779.html I used to be able to log in whether I said yes or no, but a few days later and I cannot log in with either. 'No' logs me straight off, whilst 'Yes' loads up the desktop background for a bit longer, then logs off again. I can log on with a different HD (and access the problematic hd), so its not a hardware problem (except if it is the problematic hd..). Safe mode (without networking) does work. System Restore doesn't work. Even disabling all the startup items, and all non MS services in msconfig doesn't work.
    The computer worked fine, and has done for a while; then suddenly I get this proiblem. The only thing computers are consistent in is there errors.

Sunday, July 23, 2006 1:34 AM
  • I do not have Microsft.NET Framework 2.0 on my computer. What other options do i have
    Wednesday, October 04, 2006 2:21 AM
  • I am getting that now too. No exclamation there, just a red X and the YES or NO options. I can run in Safe Mode but what else can I do after that if most things don't work?

No Framework intalled either and this started without me installing or uninstalling any software or hardware, except... automatic windows upgrades! wonder if the problem is on any later windows (home) upgrade. I also noticed that the validation shortcut appeared back under system tools and my Windows was already validated as OEM Home edition when I bought my computer just a month ago. 

Anyway, how can I fix this? Like all the others I need heeeeelp!

Monday, October 09, 2006 10:48 AM
  • I'm having the same error. A blank MessageBox with a yellow triangle containing an exclamation mark. The title of the MessageBox is "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio". We've upgraded our OS from 2003 Standard to 2003 Enterprise to support more RAM. I don't know if this has caused this issue ...

Has anyone been able to find out why this is happening?

Thanks,

Jochen

Thursday, October 19, 2006 9:01 AM
  • Argh! This is really annoying mme now i've had this problem for quite a while.
    A blank box pops up, yes or no, doesnt matter what i press because then it justs logs me
    off!
    Ive tried safe mode, command prompt, system restore and had reformatted my hard drive
    twice! Then after about two weeks the pop shows up again!

Now i have to use a PE boot disk to get onto my computer all i can about do is go on the
    internet. I have access to all my files and registry, but cant get access to the control panel for
    add and remove programs.

Desprately need to get this sorted, any help please?

Luke.
    Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:44 PM
  • funny, as far as I know SQL Server Management Studio requires .NET Framework 2.0, try looking it up at add/remove software ;)

I'm trying to repair it now, see if that works :-)

Earlyer today I ran windows update getting a few updates for .net framework 1.1, since that i'm getting this error i think. I seem to be not the only one having installed .net 1.1 and getting this error, so I'm pretty sure that's it.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling it did not help me. Now trying to repair 2.0 and see what happens...

*at moments like this I love having a 1.5 year old laptop with only 512 MB of DDR1 RAM memory*

[edit after reboot]

this solved the blank error problem for me, thanks!
    Saturday, January 13, 2007 12:50 AM
  • I have the same error message showing up on my SQL 2005 Express Edition installation.  Most things seem to work fine but I get the Empty dialog with an exclamation point in it.  I've checked the error logs and there's nothing in them.  

I'm using XP professional with office 2007.

Any one seen this problem?

Wednesday, March 07, 2007 7:20 AM
  • I found this online, hope it helps:

You may receive a blank error message in SQL Server Management Studio

You may upgrade a Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer that is running SQL Server 2005 to Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1). When you do this, you may receive a blank error message in SQL Server Management Studio.

To resolve this issue, repair the Microsoft .NET Framework after you upgrade the operating system. To do this, follow these steps:

1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs.
    2. Click Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0.
    3. Click Change/Remove.
    4. Click Repair, and then click Next.
    5. When the repair is completed, restart the computer if you are prompted to do this.

Monday, March 19, 2007 2:29 AM
  • Monday, November 12, 2007 4:56 AM
  • I have the same problem, i follow your solution. It works well. It is the best solution. Thank you so much.
    Tuesday, December 04, 2007 2:31 AM
  • I was recently required to install Visual Studio 2003 for an Objects+ class which inturn installed the .NET 1.1 framework. I had previously been using VS 2005. The install of VS 2003 caused my .NET 2.0 to have problems thus causing the blank error messagebox in my Management Studio on initial open up.

So, as stated in this forum, I opened up Control Panel, add and remove programs, clicked .Net 2.0 Framework - click Change, repaired .NET 2.0, restarted PC, reopened Management Studio and the error was resolved.

This should fix it immediately.

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 1:41 PM
  • Is this a problem exclusively with .NET 2.0 or can it happen to later (3.0, 3.5 SP1) updates?
    I have the same issue, but dont want to repair 2.0 when I have later versions on my machine.

I guess what I need to know is should I try to repair the latest version of .NET?
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I've seen this problem occur with 2.0 3.0 and 3.5 while entering into SQL Server Managment Studio. All it takes is a simple repair on any of the .NETs to fix the issue.
    Thursday, July 02, 2009 5:50 PM
  • I had the same problem; and have .Net 2.0 and 3 on my computer. Repairing 2.0 fixed it.

Thanks for the advice here, guys.
    Monday, July 06, 2009 5:24 PM
  • For me, I find a reference to "Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SDK - ENU" in my list of installed programs, and while repairing it went smoothly, it did not remove the problem of the blank error message. (even after a re-start of the machine.)

This happens on a machine that recently had a new boot drive installed, so WXP-SP3 was fresh and new, as was the install of SQL-Server Management Studio Express.  I'm not sure if the symptom of the blank error message appeared immediately after the install of SSMS, or if it only appeared after a subsequent Windows Update.

Next, I'll try refreshing one of the other .NET frameworks and you'll hear from me soon if that changes anything.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 5:25 PM
  • Repairing .NET 3.5 SP1 eliminated the blank error message for me, after repairing 2.0 had not changed anything.
    Sunday, January 03, 2010 5:40 PM