none
Linked Server Source IP in a clustered environment

Question

• Assume a two node cluster (NodeA and NodeB), with clustered instance InstanceA.

Assume InstanceB is external to this environment.

When a linked server is created within InstanceA to connect to InstanceB, what IP does that  connection originate from? Is it the IP of the active host (Node A) or the IP of the instance InstanceA?

Thank you for your time.

• Moved by Tom Phillips Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:42 PM HA question
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:35 PM

All replies

• You should always use the Instance IP address for SQL Server access.  This IP always points to the active node.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:42 PM
  • You should always use the Instance IP address for SQL Server access.  This IP always points to the active node.

I realize that for inbound, but when we're talking about outbound access, from which IP will InstanceB see traffic originating? The InstanceA IP or the IP of the active node?
    • Edited by SteveKSM Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:44 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Hi

While  configuring  the ms sql clustering  a unique IP is assigned  , this IP will be  working on a active node.you can use this IP for any connectivity either inbound or out bound.

You can use sql cluster instance IP which is in active node....i hope clear now.

Friday, April 26, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Hi

While  configuring  the ms sql clustering  a unique IP is assigned  , this IP will be  working on a active node.you can use this IP for any connectivity either inbound or out bound.

You can use sql cluster instance IP which is in active node....i hope clear now.

Sorry, I wasn't able to follow this.

Setting up a linked server and monitoring netstat, the traffic appears to navigate from the host IP and NOT the instance IP.

Friday, April 26, 2013 3:47 PM