none
"Thin" workbook cannot be created in sharepoint for the security issue

Question

• Hello Friends,

I uploaded my "CORE" excel workbook in sharepoint--Powerpivot gallery, which it talks to busienss DB via SQL account.

Then  I login the sharepoint and tried to create a thin workbook in sharepoint--Powerpivot gallery by cliking "Open new excel workbook" based on the "CORE"(the top-right corner button), unfortuanately, it reports the error like "Unable to connect to data source. Reason: access denied. You either make a mistake typing in your USERID and/or Password, or you do not have permission to access the database server."

My windows account has the full conrol of this sharepoint site. And this windows account has the read permission of sharepoint content DB and suffient permission to access the SQL2012 SSAS powerpivot mode.

Besides, if I open the "CORE" excel workbook, it works perfectly by creating the pivot chart/table.

Version: SQL2012 Powerpivot 11.0.2100.60

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Derek

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Read:

http://bit.ly/HecFJo

on how to do this.

Regards,

David Hager

Unloved Excel FMVP

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:23 AM
  • Thanks!

Read it weeks ago. It still does not work

Derek

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Hi Derek,

Have you Configure Stored Credentials for PowerPivot Data Refresh, please refer to this link about this topic http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210671.aspx

Thanks,

Challen Fu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 16, 2012 9:03 AM
  • I'm seeing this same problem.  When I select the "Open New Excel Workbook" for an existing "CORE" workbook, I see a dialog asking if I want to open or save the ODC file.  I select "open" and then excel opens and gives me a warning about "Data connections have been blocked".  I select "Enable" and then get the following message.

"Unable to connec to this data source.  Reason: Access denied.  You either made a mistake typing in your User ID and/or password, or you do not have permission to access the database server."

The Stored Credentials are created and the "CORE" workbook auto refreshes on a schedule with no problems.

Any ideas on what else to check?

Thanks!

SharePoint 2010 SP1 (CU Feb-Mar) / PowerPivot 2012 (SQL Server 2012 CU2)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:56 AM