none
Copy roles from one DB to another

Question

• I have a database with abut 150 roles that are very specific to a user and have a denied set or allowed set on many of the attributes.  I have created a new database and would like to add or copy these roles to the new database.  I added them as an existing item however none of the allowed sets or denied sets copied with the roles.  In fact the only thing that did copy are the users on the membership tab.  Is there another way to copy the roles, exactly as is, from one database to another?
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 10:35 PM

Answers

• When you create a role in BIDS the membership is saved with the role, but Dimension security is stored with the dimension. If you have set the security at the database dimension level it will be stored with the dimension. If you have set it at the cube dimension level it will be stored with the cube.

If you have set it at the database dimension level, copying the dimension across should bring the related allowed & denied sets (these sets are specific to the dimension, so you would most likely need this anyway)
    http://geekswithblogs.net/darrengosbell - please mark correct answers
    • Marked as answer by sasman Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:09 AM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:41 AM