none
Installing Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server 2008

Question

• Hi,

I have installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Enterprise into a W2k3 R2 SP2. Everything works properly, but I have a legacy application that needs to use Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server. When this application- BackupExec tries to start the services, it says that there is a problem recovering the master database from the server instance. The problem seems to be that the application cannot properly attache the database into the instance because the instance is missing the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server.

We perform a text using Data Link Properties in order to connect to the server, but when you select the OLE DB Provider for SQL Server it tells you that "Provider is no longer available. Ensure that the provider is installed properly."

For your reference, the specific error that we get from the database attachment process is:
    ***********************************************************************************************************

OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=picaa0200900743\BKUPEXEC1;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x8007007e Error connecting to master database: hr = 0x8007007e OS ERROR: 0x8007007e (-2147024770)

Execute command: sp_attach_db 'BEDB','C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_dat.mdf','C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\BEDB_log.ldf'

OpenFromInitializationString Connection String = Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=master;Data Source=picaa0200900743\BKUPEXEC1;Locale Identifier=1033;Application Name=BEWS DBUTIL hr=0x8007007e Error connecting to master database: hr = 0x8007007e Execute command failed: 0x8007007e OS ERROR: 0x8007007e (-2147024770) Deinitialize...

***************************************************************************************************************"

Have anyone seen this behavior before?
    Is there a way to install the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server when you have already installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008??

Please, advice

• Edited by titocuny Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:42 PM easier to read
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 2:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• OLE DB used to be included along with the other client libraries in a separate installable piece called MDAC (Microsoft Data access Client).  In SQL 2008 that package is called SNAC (SQL Native Access Components).  

SNAC is available as part of the SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=228de03f-3b5a-428a-923f-58a033d316e1&displaylang=en

Scroll down to the SQL Server 2008 Native Client and select the package appropriate to your install.

Geoff N. Hiten Principal Consultant Microsoft SQL Server MVP
    Wednesday, October 28, 2009 4:59 PM
  • I'm having an issue with my OLE DB Provider for SQL. I use a connection string through SAS to connect to a SQL Server 2008 database that sits on a separate server to where my SAS software sits. The issue is that the server where SAS sits is very old and has SQL Server 2000 installed on it, this means that an old OLE DB Provider for SQL is installed (SQLOLEDB.1).

I was wanting to know if installing the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client (SQLNCLI10.1) OLE DB Provider component on this old server will affect the way in which SQL Server 2000 operates, or if the 2 OLE DB Provider clients can work side by side on there?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:54 AM