none
Combine large Access files

Question

• Hi, I need to combine (union all) data from multiple Access mdb files. Each file contains part of the data I want to import. I do not want to join the data, opnly "union all" the data. Can I do it in powerpivot for Excel?

Thanks,

Ccote

Ccote

Wednesday, April 04, 2012 5:53 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sure, you can do it, but the beauty of PowerPivot is that you don't have to. Just pull your data in and mash it up.
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 9:22 PM
  • when importing, choose using query..then type in

select col1, col2 from Table1 UNION ALL select col3, col4 from Table2 UNION ALL ...

-- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, April 05, 2012 5:11 AM
  • Hi, I know I can do it (select .. union all select ...) when the tables are in the same database or Access file. But, since my client has given me 3 separate mdb files, how can I union all them in PowerPivot?

Thanks for your help,

Ccote

Thursday, April 05, 2012 12:30 PM
  • You can just import 3 mdb files one by one into PowerPivot. Then create relationships among them write some DAX to get what you want.

Thursday, April 05, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Hi, I read a post that explain how to append data from different Excel files (http://www.contextures.com/PowerPivot-Identical-Excel-Files.html) an did the same with Access. It worked like a charm. Do we have the capability to append to a table in PowerPivot 2012?

Thanks,

Ccote

Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:38 PM
  • From what I know of, only if you used Linked Table ..

Thursday, April 05, 2012 2:59 PM