none
How to add a timestamp into the Error Log Path when processing AS database and use change settings...

Question

• Hi there:

I am in the process of processing the AS database. I choose the full process and pick the change settings. In the change settings, I click the dimension key errors tab to deliberately using custom error configureation. Now, what I

want to achieve is to put a suffix to the error log path so that everytime when I process the cube, it will generate a new error log for me.

Can someone here show me how to do that?

cheers

Hui

--Currently using Reporting Service 2000; Visual Studio .NET 2003; Visual Source Safe SSIS 2008 SSAS 2008, SVN --
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:44 PM

Answers

• No.

When you setup the SSIS package in BIDS to process the cube, you add a flat file provider. This provider is used for logging. Then in the properties of the provider, you define an expression using the expression above.

FJK
    • Marked as answer by cat_ca Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:13 PM

All replies

• I think the best way to achieve this is to set up a ssis package to process the cube and then add some custom logging. In mine I have the log going out to a flat file using a variable to define the log location directory and then I use the following expression to note the date time.

@[User::LogLocation] +  @[System::PackageName] +
    (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "yyyy" , @[System::StartTime]   ) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "mm" ,  @[System::StartTime]  ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "dd" , @[System::StartTime]   ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "hh" , @[System::StartTime]   ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "mi" ,  @[System::StartTime]  ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "ss" , @[System::StartTime]   ), 2) +
    ".txt"

FJK
    Thursday, March 25, 2010 8:33 PM
  • thanks Frank. So for the custom logging, what did you do to set it up? By the way, the log file can only have the suffix with .LOG, I am not sure why you put .txt at the end. When I process the cube, I choose the change settings and go to the dimension key errors tab. At the end of this tab, you will need to put the error log path and it can only take files with suffix of .LOG.

Also, how to send this error log via send mail task everytime it gets generated?

Hui

--Currently using Reporting Service 2000; Visual Studio .NET 2003; Visual Source Safe SSIS 2008 SSAS 2008, SVN --
    Friday, March 26, 2010 12:25 PM
  • hi frank, so how did you set up the custom logging to capture those dimension key errors occurring during AS database processing?

Friday, March 26, 2010 12:34 PM
  • sorry, been away for a bit.

I write the log out to my logging directory and then I have logic in the package that sends the log file to me through the email task and the end of the master job package.

Not sure why I have .txt at the end of that expression.

FJK
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Hi frank:

So you put

@[User::LogLocation] +  @[System::PackageName] +
    (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "yyyy" , @[System::StartTime]   ) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "mm" ,  @[System::StartTime]  ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "dd" , @[System::StartTime]   ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "hh" , @[System::StartTime]   ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "mi" ,  @[System::StartTime]  ), 2) +
    RIGHT("0" + (DT_STR,4,1252)DATEPART( "ss" , @[System::StartTime]   ), 2) +
    ".txt"

into the dimension key error log path?

thanks

Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:12 PM
  • No.

When you setup the SSIS package in BIDS to process the cube, you add a flat file provider. This provider is used for logging. Then in the properties of the provider, you define an expression using the expression above.

FJK
    • Marked as answer by cat_ca Thursday, April 29, 2010 11:20 AM
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:13 PM