none
SSMS 2012 Save As dialog, New Folder not functioning correctly...

Question

• When I click New Folder in the SSMS 2012 Save As dialog, nothing happens.  If I right-click in the file list and Refresh, 'New Folder' is there.  Then when I rename 'New Folder', I have to click Refresh again to see what I named it.

I'm not experiencing the problem with any other Save As Dialogs, including Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate.

Friday, August 10, 2012 8:14 PM

Answers

• Hi Gordon,

Thanks for update.

Yes, I have reproduced your scenario and encountered the same problem as yours.

But if I run SSMS as local Windows user, then everything works fine. So I think maybe it’s a Windows account permission problem. I go to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Give other accounts access to this computer, and add the different Windows user to access this computer. After that, I use RunAs.exe to run SSMS 2012 as that different Windows user and everything works fine. So please kindly try this if you could.

Besides, if you are not satisfied with this, I would like to suggest you to submit a feedback to Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray Chen

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi Gordon,

Are you trying to use “Save File As” in SSMS 2012 which is like the following?

If so, I checked it on my machine, and it worked fine. And base on your description, this seems very strange. I would like to suggest you to repair SQL Server by using the following article: Repair a Failed SQL Server 2012 Installation. And also please apply Cumulative update package 2 for SQL Server 2012. After that, please check if it could work fine.

Best Regards,
    Ray Chen

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:10 AM
  • I figured out part of my problem...  I'm using RUNAS.EXE or ShellRunAs.exe to run SSMS as a different Windows User.

Are you able to reproduce my 'New Folder' problem when running SSMS as a different Windows user?

I've done the same thing for years with SSMS 2005/2008 with no problems.

Typically I don't login to SQL Server under my normal Windows account, which isn't given "DBA" sysadmin permissions.

• Edited by Gordon Bell Monday, August 13, 2012 7:52 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 7:42 PM
  • Hi Gordon,

Thanks for update.

Yes, I have reproduced your scenario and encountered the same problem as yours.

But if I run SSMS as local Windows user, then everything works fine. So I think maybe it’s a Windows account permission problem. I go to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Give other accounts access to this computer, and add the different Windows user to access this computer. After that, I use RunAs.exe to run SSMS 2012 as that different Windows user and everything works fine. So please kindly try this if you could.

Besides, if you are not satisfied with this, I would like to suggest you to submit a feedback to Microsoft Connect at this link https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback.

Best Regards,
    Ray Chen

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 9:07 AM