none
SSRS 2008 R2 Subscription Email Error (only with Attachments)

Question

• I am having the same issue as in the following post http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreportingservices/thread/6a4ee2d8-23ce-4b68-a14e-fe7024cb58ea.

I have SSRS 2008 R2 set up on a Windows Server 2008 SP2 server.

Everything works fine, with the exception of subscriptions with an attachment.  If the subscription is just a link, it works fine.  In reviewing the log files, I get the following error info:

library!WindowsService_8!e6c!04/25/2011-13:32:06:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: AuthzInitializeContextFromSid: Win32 error: 5; possible reason - service account doesn't have rights to check domain user SIDs., Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error. ;
    library!WindowsService_8!e6c!04/25/2011-13:32:06:: i INFO: Initializing EnableExecutionLogging to 'True'  as specified in Server system properties.
    emailextension!WindowsService_8!e6c!04/25/2011-13:32:06:: e ERROR: Error sending email. Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.RSException: The report server has encountered a configuration error.  ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: The report server has encountered a configuration error.
    notification!WindowsService_8!e6c!04/25/2011-13:32:06:: e ERROR: Error occured processing subscription bf7ba260-6f39-4915-834c-70ca36a616ef: Failure sending mail: The report server has encountered a configuration error. Mail will not be resent.

When I review the KB article mentioned (link below), the top specifically says "Note This problem does not occur in Windows Server 2008"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842423

Since I have it installed on a Windows Server 2008 box, and am experiencing this issue, is there something different that people know of for that version of Windows Server?

- Glenda
    Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Glenda,

Thank you for the post.

Basically, the error code 5 means "Access is Denied". You can verify this by running "net helpmsg 5" under a CMD.exe window.

Meanwhile, the error message is also quite clear that the account that is used to start the Reporting Service does not have sufficient right to check domain user SIDs. Generally, the issue is related to AD infrastructure rather than SSRS itself.

The cause of the issue could be that, AuthzInitializeContextFromSid function call will be invoked before Reporting service sending out an subscription Email with attachment to the users who subscribed it. However, for link subscription, AuthzInitializeContextFromSid would not be called.

To work on this issue, please try follows,

1. Verify if the SSRS has been joined to the same domain with the users.
    2. If the user account and the SSRS computer account belongs to different domains, please setup two way trust between them.
    3. Use a domain account which belongs to the users' domain to start the SSRS service.
    4. Try to re-subscribe the reports by using the SSRS's local admin account.

If the issue still occurs, you can post the thread to AD forum, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/winserverDS/threads. Hope you can get the issue resolved soon with helps from appropriate team.

Thanks,
    Eileen

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Friday, May 06, 2011 1:33 AM
    Monday, May 02, 2011 1:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Glenda,

Thank you for the post.

Basically, the error code 5 means "Access is Denied". You can verify this by running "net helpmsg 5" under a CMD.exe window.

Meanwhile, the error message is also quite clear that the account that is used to start the Reporting Service does not have sufficient right to check domain user SIDs. Generally, the issue is related to AD infrastructure rather than SSRS itself.

The cause of the issue could be that, AuthzInitializeContextFromSid function call will be invoked before Reporting service sending out an subscription Email with attachment to the users who subscribed it. However, for link subscription, AuthzInitializeContextFromSid would not be called.

To work on this issue, please try follows,

1. Verify if the SSRS has been joined to the same domain with the users.
    2. If the user account and the SSRS computer account belongs to different domains, please setup two way trust between them.
    3. Use a domain account which belongs to the users' domain to start the SSRS service.
    4. Try to re-subscribe the reports by using the SSRS's local admin account.

If the issue still occurs, you can post the thread to AD forum, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/winserverDS/threads. Hope you can get the issue resolved soon with helps from appropriate team.

Thanks,
    Eileen

• Marked as answer by Eileen Zhao Friday, May 06, 2011 1:33 AM
    Monday, May 02, 2011 1:47 PM
  • I know this is old, but I've just run into this on Windows 2008 R2 and SQL Server 2008 R2 EE.  In my case, end users of our application do not interact with SSRS at all, they can request or subscribe to two reports on a weekly, monthly, or instant schedule.  Which ever they choose, the details are stored in a table, and SSRS jobs scrape that information and generate the report on the needed schedule and the report is emailed with an embedded and attached PDF.  We do have two domains where the SQL Server and the users and everything is in an external domain that has only one way trust with the internal domain.  The External domain trust the internal domain, but not the other way around.

Running SSRS with an external domain service account left the exact same error as you... as well as occassional Win32 error: 55.

I decided to run SSRS under a domain admin account from the internal domain.  That left more detailed error (after I changed the owner of the SQL Agent job as part of the testing) with errors from an internal domain user account of the user that configured the reports, schedules, and subscriptions.  I had no idea where that domain account was coming from.  Digging into it, I found that in ReportServer..Subscriptions, the OwnerID column has a GUID that is related to the Users table.  In that table was the internal account that was in the error log.

I was able to temporarily fix this by adding this internal domain account to the Administrators group in Windows and dropping the SSRS account back down to the External domain service account.  However I did not want to do that, I did not want to grant elevated privileges to this user.  I ended up with another work around.  I manually updated the Subscriptions table changing the value of OwnerID to the GUID of the 'NT Authority\System' user.   I could find no way to change the details via the Reporting Services configuration GUI or the Report Manager GUI.

Jason Fay Sr SQL Server DBA Joy Global Inc

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:14 AM
  • I manually updated the Subscriptions table changing the value of OwnerID to the GUID of the 'NT Authority\System' user.   I could find no way to change the details via the Reporting Services configuration GUI or the Report Manager GUI.

Jason Fay Sr SQL Server DBA Joy Global Inc

Thanks. This worked for me as well.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/fe388850-cb73-4296-ba72-9b958d4652f3

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, April 26, 2013 11:07 PM