none
Transaction Log Backup Failure

Question

• Hi

I have a job that runs full backs and that was successfull but all my transaction log backups failed. This is the error message i get:

1.VDI error 1010: Failed to get configuration from server. Check that the SQL Server instance is running, and that you have the SQL Server Systems Administrator server role. Error code: (-2139684861: The api was waiting and the timeout interval had elapsed.)

2.SQL error 3013: BACKUP LOG is terminating abnormally.

3.SQL error 4214: BACKUP LOG cannot be performed because there is no current database backup.

Please assist.

Monday, May 26, 2008 1:09 PM

All replies

• Since you have a VDI Error, you are using a third party application to do you SQL Backups.  What do the logs in the third party application show?

Monday, May 26, 2008 2:19 PM
  •  

Hi

Thank you for replying to my post.

However i am relatively new in SQL Server and i am lost when you say third party application. I monitor my backups using RedGate and there is also SQL Server 2005 Management Studio that is use.

If you dont mind me asking where would i go to search for the third party application and the other two errors do you have an idea what they mean.

I have been looking at other forums and someone posted a reply for the error: BACKUP LOG cannot be performed because there is no current database backup  and their response was :

The correct way to discard the log backup chain is to switch to the SIMPLE recovery model.  Once you've decided to resume log backups, switch to FULL recovery model, take a full or differential backup and then start taking log backups again.

Thanks

Rea

Monday, May 26, 2008 2:53 PM
  • In order to backup the transaction log, you first have to do a full database backup to mark the starting LSN in the database.  RedGate is probably the third party application that you are using to do your backups.  You need to schedule a full backup of the database first.  Then the Log backups will complete successfully once a full has been taken.  If you switch to SIMPLE recovery, you can only recover the database to the last FULL backup.  If you want point in time recovery, then FULL recovery is the correct backup model for the database.  You just need to take a full backup first to start the recovery set out.  Then you can take log backups and your recovery of the database would be to first restore the full backup and then each of the logs to the point of a crash.

Monday, May 26, 2008 3:00 PM
  • Hi,

All my full backup are successfull and i am using full recovery model.What puzzels me is the fact that i have a full backup that runs successfully but the transaction logs fails. I have been trying to find the solution to this problem with no luck.

Thanks,

Rea

Monday, May 26, 2008 3:08 PM
  • Run the following in SSMS to check your recovery model:

Code Snippet
    SELECT dbpropertyex("databasename", "recovery")

Change databasename to match the database you are trying to backup.

Monday, May 26, 2008 3:13 PM