none
Server Replacement

Question

• I'm in the process of migrating from a Windows 2000 Server with SQL Server 2000 Developer SP3/SP3a to Windows 20003 Server with SQL Server 2000 Enterprise SP4 with the latest hotfixes.  The process that I plan to follow is:

-  Load Windows

-  Load SQL Server 2000 Enterprise

-  Migrate production databases

-  Complete application testing (1 - 2 weeks)

-  Migrate production databases at final cutover

My question revolves around when can I apply SP4 and the latest hotfixes?  I will be migrating the databases multiple times (testing and final cutover) over a several week period.  The database engine will be at SP4, but the databases themselves are at SP3.  Will this work?  Will the database engine upgrade the SP3 databases to SP4 when they are brought online?  Do I ned to keep the replacement server at SP3/SP3a until I make the final cutover, and then upgrade SQL on the replacement server to SP4?

Thanks for your assistance!!!

Monday, June 02, 2008 5:12 PM

Answers

• The user databases can be moved between patch levels, but the system databases can not.  Is there any way to apply SP4 to the existing server as well?

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:34 PM
  • The real issue is your system databases, since master has your logins and msdb has you jobs, history, and dts packages.  Master is easy to fix because you can script the logins out for pre-creation on the new server with the same SID as the old server.  MSDB is the real issue, and it depends on how much you have to move.  Jobs can be scripted and DTS Packages can be migrated, but history is not as easy to move over without moving the databases.

Transfer Logins to Another Server

Monday, June 02, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Since you are migrating from one edition of Sql 2k to another edition of Sql 2k with different builds you cannot peform restoring the system databases. Refer this link which explains that behaviour, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264474

You have to follow the instruction Jon has mentioned to migrate the logins, jobs etc..

- Deepak

Monday, June 02, 2008 11:53 PM

All replies

• The user databases can be moved between patch levels, but the system databases can not.  Is there any way to apply SP4 to the existing server as well?

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:34 PM
  • I can't apply SP4 to the current server because we are in the middle of a production cycle.  We don't want to take any chances.  I also read in the SP4 "Readme" file that as long as a user database is not part of a replication topology, the database can be moved between patch levels.  Thanks for your assistance!!!

Monday, June 02, 2008 9:48 PM
  • The real issue is your system databases, since master has your logins and msdb has you jobs, history, and dts packages.  Master is easy to fix because you can script the logins out for pre-creation on the new server with the same SID as the old server.  MSDB is the real issue, and it depends on how much you have to move.  Jobs can be scripted and DTS Packages can be migrated, but history is not as easy to move over without moving the databases.

Transfer Logins to Another Server

Monday, June 02, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Since you are migrating from one edition of Sql 2k to another edition of Sql 2k with different builds you cannot peform restoring the system databases. Refer this link which explains that behaviour, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264474

You have to follow the instruction Jon has mentioned to migrate the logins, jobs etc..

- Deepak

Monday, June 02, 2008 11:53 PM